Discover the World: Italy

Hi everyone!

Pope Francis at Vatican City, Italy, February 1, 2017
My name is Melissa Gallardo and I’m a sophomore studying with St. John’s University’s Discover the World: Europe program. With SJU, I have the incredible opportunity to study abroad for 5 weeks in Rome, Seville and Paris for the Spring 2017 semester. I’m currently in Rome, Italy at the SJU campus, which is in the heart of Rome. I’m a 20-minute walk from Vatican City and I’ve already seen Pope Francis at the Papel Audience! 

I’m heading into my 3rd week in Rome and I’m absolutely in love with the city. When I decided to study abroad in 3 countries, I didn’t know what to expect and wanted to go into each country head on. When I arrived in Italy, I had a total culture shock. I could not read a single sign after I got off the plane. In the United States, I’m so used to seeing signs in English and Spanish but in Rome, it was all Italian and I didn’t know how to form a sentence. Luckily for me, I know the basics of Spanish and I’ve been able to pick up Italian phrases and words quickly.


Panini Run, Vatican City, Rome, January 24, 2017
At SJU service-learning is a substantial part of the study abroad program. Right away, I knew I wanted to take up as many hours as I could to help the poor. After my L.O.V.E. Guatemala service trip with MC, I found a passion for service and wanted to continue my journey abroad. In the last three weeks, I’ve been fortunate enough to participate in Panini Runs, similar to Midnight Runs in the U.S., and bring sandwiches and fruit to the homeless that are near Vatican City. I spoke with a homeless French man spoke about his time in Nice before his wife passed away and lost work. He’s been homeless for 8 months and has no family or resources to help sustain his life. Stories like his drive me to help poor and the less fortunate.

Colosseum, Rome, Italy, January 19, 2017 
While studying abroad in 3 countries I'm taking 1-2 courses in each city for 5 weeks each. In Rome, I’m taking Moral Theology and the Marketplace, In Seville I’m taking Introduction to Islam and Monuments of World Architecture and in Paris I’m taking Religions of the World and Economics of Poverty and Income Inequality. As a Religious Studies minor, I’m so excited to take so many religion courses abroad! My Moral Theology and the Marketplace class discusses how Catholic Social Teaching plays a role in economics and in the workforce. What I love most about being a Religious Studies minor is that every course I take is completely different. It’s a whole new topic that I’ve never seen before and I’m always learning something new. I not only do I learn about people’s religious beliefs, I get to learn and experience how religion plays a role in the family, society, government and the international community first hand.


My study abroad experience is blossoming. I am stepping out of my comfort zone and into a world I knew existed, but never thought I would experience. I’m introduced to several new cultures that I would never fully immerse myself into in the U.S. It’s an academic, personal and professional experience that I truly enjoy. My study abroad journey is just beginning and I can’t wait to see what’s next.

Comments

  1. It is exciting to read of your Adventure with Service in the several countries of Europe. Your program seems full of interesting courses and experiences. Our thoughts are with you and we know that you will enjoy the sights, get the most out of the course work, and gain a true understanding of different cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing your study abroad in 3 different countries sounds exciting and challenging! I love that you will be able to immerse yourself in the cultures and see them all through the lens of a student. Soak everything up and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, thanks for sharing your journey so far! I've always wanted to go to Italy - definitely keep us posted. Continue all your great work!!! JH is there with you in spirit. Stay safe, God bless.

    AC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a wonderful opportunity to see the world and experience other cultures hands on! I have to confess, I'm envious! I do hope you soak it all up and open yourself to the many opportunities you have at your disposal. I look forward to reading your next update. Enjoy some gelato and throw a coin in the Trevi fountain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blog ..
    For Medical admissions abroad visit http://maitriglobaleducation.com/medcine-healthscience/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete



  7. Thanks for giving important information to training seekers,Keep posting useful information,Click below to find


    Study in Italy in English

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment