Italy - Rome day 2


So I finally made it to Rome. It only took months of planning, a summer full of stress and worry, multiple visa fiascos and a 9 hour overnight flight. It's day 2 and I finally got out to really explore the city. Yesterday my jet lag was so bad I didn't even want to go outside to get a gelato! But I mustered up the strength and already had one by 2 pm today. Here I picture my beautiful hand and gelato within the Trastevere region of Rome, which is where I am located in my 'external housing' at John Cabot University. 


The housing here is quite different then at home, when I am in Pennsylvania there is a limit on how many girls can live together or it is considered a brothel. Here it must be no problem because I am living with 7 other girls in a 4 bedroom apartment!

Today was day 2, and we had to do an 'orientation activity' to get us used to the Roman life. So we got to go for a 5 mile stroll through the city during the hot mid day. It was a balmy 90 degrees with little wind. It was all worth it though as we got to really see the city and experience the city. 
Pictured above is where Mussolini used to reside when he was the ruler of Italy. It also shows, if you squint really hard, the balcony, near the flags, where he used to give his speeches to the public. I thought that was pretty cool to see when just casually touring my new home. 

Things only got cooler when my orientation leader, who are called skippers here, took us to this cite. While it is now a sanctuary for homeless cats it was once the place where Julius Caesar was stabbed to death 27 times. 

All of a sudden after casually walking past the Roman Forum this big building appeared in the skyline and my roommate and I lost it. We both went into shock when we realized just how close we lived to this monument. If you don't know it or don't recognize it please save yourself the embarrassment and just google "most famous roman monuments." It's at the top of the list and conveniently located minutes from my apartment. 
So far, I love Rome and while it was a really hard decision to enroll in a new school, in a foreign country where I don't speak a single word- I have now learned ciao- with not a single person I know, I do not regret it.
My only regret is that all of my friends from school couldn't come with me. Although I do wish that they will go next semester so that they too can experience something so out of the ordinary, for us as Americans. Also it would be nice if they did so I could have a cool spring break destination! 



Comments

  1. What a wonderful introduction to Rome. Looking forward to your further adventures.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment