Galway

September 12th

I was reunited with my friend Michelle. I first met Michelle in 2012 when her Irish Football club came over to New York from Mayo to play us in a challenge match. We knew from that day that the friendship would last a lifetime. The last time I saw her was my visit to Ireland in 2013. It was so nice to see her after a few years. She is also an education major. I am extremely close with my Education friends back at Manhattan College and miss them dearly. It was awesome to have someone to chat with about our major.

September 13th
All visiting students in Ireland have to report to Immigration with paperwork and pay a fee. Today was my appointment to do so. I was extremely nervous about this meeting. Not that I did something wrong, I was just afraid that I would forget a paper or something like that. Everything went smoothly. The immigration guard was extremely friendly and we discussed how much Uncle Mike is coming over to play with the NYPD against the Galway Guards in October.

September 14th
After our classes, Bridget and I traveled down to County Cork for two nights to meet her aunt and uncle.


September 15th
Bridget and I spent the day walking around Cork City. I hadn't visited there since 2004 when I came with my mom and grandfather. Cork is a beautiful city. It is very different to Galway. It is much larger and less traditional (in my opinion) than Galway. We browsed through stores, included the English Market which reminded me of Arthur Avenue. We had dinner with Bridget's aunt and uncle. It was great to see them and spend the day with them. I would love to visit County Cork again while I am here.


September 16th
We took a 8 AM train into Dublin. This was our first time on the train while we were here and we both really enjoyed it. The ride was very scenic and comfortable. When we arrived in Dublin, our dear friend Margaret met us at the train station. Margaret and I decided that we were going to go to breakfast at this cafe named Gerry's on Harcourt Street that we went to last year when we were in Dublin. My family was very jealous when I sent them a picture of my breakfast because it was one of their favorites from our last trip. We spent the wet Irish day walking around Dublin and met up with our friends who are studying there. Later that evening, Margaret, Bridget, and I got dinner with my cousins Gabrielle and Conor. I was over the moon. They are two of my favorite people. After dinner, we went to the Croke Park Hotel. Our awesome friends Margaret and Clare were able to get me a ticket to the All-Ireland game. This has always been one of my dreams and it was finally coming true. We met them at the hotel and had some great laughs together, as well as some dancing and singing. 
September 17th
Today is a day I will never ever forget. The atmosphere in Croke Park for the Mayo-Dublin All- Ireland was something I never experienced before. I honestly can't even put into words. Although the team I wanted to win fell short, it was the best game of Irish Football I've watched. 80,000 fans filled the stands with hundreds of thousands of fans for both teams gathered throughout Dublin. This is top ten one of the best days of my life. I truly am one lucky girl.
 

September 18th
We traveled back to Galway in time to make our classes. The weather was beautiful. This time abroad is really helping me to reflect on many things. After class, I attended mass at the Galway Cathedral. After mass, I found a nice little spot on the water to sit and listen to some music. This was just what I needed after a crazy weekend. My housemates and I all ate dinner together and played some games. It felt great to come back to Galway. I actually missed it over the weekend.


Comments

  1. We love reading of your travels and adventures. It makes us want to visit again. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment