Galway

October 18th
This morning we said "see you later" to our friends Brianna, Carly, and Chris. It was great having them visit for the week. It's crazy to think that we will be home with them in just a few weeks. I spent the day in class.  That night I traveled to Dublin to spend the night with my friend Margaret.
 

October 19th
Reunited and it feels so good! This morning I surprised my family at Dublin Airport as they arrived in Ireland for the NYPD Gaelic Football trip. We were all so excited to see each other. I can't believe what a change there was in my godson in the two months. He is more animated and definitely much bigger. We traveled from Dublin to Belfast, where we were staying for the weekend. After checking into the hotel and dropping our bags off, we made our way to the Titanic Experience Museum. The tour was amazing! It was very interesting to see the full history of the boat, the people who helped to build it, and those aboard. After our fun day out, we ate dinner at a dinner near the hotel. The food was homemade and delicious. With full bellies, everyone's sleepless night and jet lag started to set in and we went back to the hotel to get a good rest.


October 20th
Today was the first day of games for the NYPD. Although they fell short, it was a fun game to watch. After the game, we went to the clubhouse and met the players of the London MET Police, Dublin Guards, and Police Services of Northern Ireland members. When we got back to our hotel, we met up with our friend Cathal who lives in Northern Ireland. He took all of us to see the Falls Road. This road is covered with murals having to do with the history of the troubles in Northern Ireland, especially Belfast. It was very moving to see. Cathal showed up around the city. We finished the night with dinner and waiting up to watch the New York Yankees.

October 21st
The NYPD were victorious in their game for 3rd place. The game was not very competitive, but more of a friendly match. Everyone was having a good laugh, both on and off the field. The Dublin Guards were the winners of the tournament. That night the teams had a gala to attend. I stayed back to watch Connor. I really missed babysitting him and cuddling. I stole him for the night while his parents went to the event

October 22nd
We left Belfast today to head toward Galway together for the next few days. We had a great weekend in Belfast. The city is filled with lots of history and pride. It has a much different vibe to Galway. Our first stop on our journey to Galway was lovely Leitrim. My maternal grandma was born and raised in Manorhamilton, County Leitrim. This was the first time that all of her children and grandchildren were there at the same time. My grandma's home place, Shassmore, is our home away from home. Many of our cousins were there to see us. There's nothing better than spending time with family. From Leitrim, we made our way to my Uncle Mike's family in Castlebar, County Mayo. This was their first time meeting baby Connor. We had a great day with both families. The crew arrived to Galway late that night.
  

October 23rd
Today, we went with the NYPD team to the Aran Islands. This is one place I've always wanted to go. My mom, Aunt Doreen, and I took a horse and carriage ride around the island. It was beautiful. The weather wasn't great, but Ireland wouldn't be the Emerald Isle if it wasn't for the rain. The views of the Wild Atlantic away were breathtaking.
 
October 24th
The morning started off with a walk around the city with my family. I then went to my classes. For my biogeography class, I had to give a presentation on the field assignments we have completed. It went very well. After class, the NYPD played the Galway Guards in Pearce Stadium. It was a great turnout. My housemates from here even came to watch the game and meet my family. My Uncle Mike was player of the match scoring one goal and three points. The game was followed by a reception for both teams in the town. We had a great night and lots of fun.


October 25th
This morning was a little hard as I had to say "see you later" to my family. It helped knowing that I will be seeing them in just a few weeks. We really had an amazing time the past week together. After, my day was filled with classes. During my break, Bridget and I ate lunch together and had a chat. We can't believe that we are already half way through our time here. We have done plenty of things, but also have many more adventures ahead!


Comments

  1. Another great commentary on your adventure. It is fantastic that family can share experiences in the "Old Country". I'm sure the NYPD will demand a re-match..... and you will be there to cheer them on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good piece of research, I must say! Thanks for the best hostels suggestion, really appreciate your work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment