Oslo, Norway: Happy New Year!

Dear Oslo,

Meeting you was like a blind date. I knew of you but had never seen you in person before. It's something I've been planning for awhile. I may not had known what was about to happen but I prayed you were my childhood dream. I wished you were everything I had hoped you would be. Luckily, you were.

I have always dreamed about going to Norway since I was about 12 years old. The country's history always fascinated me. The stories of the roaring sea being explored by vikings on their ships has always triggered my mind. Coming to Oslo, and being able to celebrate New Years there was a dream come true.

Scandinavian countries overall are financially stable. Even more, they are really financially thriving. That is something we learned about in class. Things are generally a bit more expensive in comparison to your good ole' American town but they do compare almost equally to Manhattan prices. The majority of the buildings show the country's wealth visually. It's rather neat actually. There is a steady mix of grand, European looking buildings and more modern structures like contemporary skyscrapers. It is a funky yet beautiful and addicting place. It drags you into it's fjords and seas. Even though the country is rather young, being officially established in 1905, you can feel the history in every step you take along the cobblestone roads.

                                                                                                   Royal Palace Oslo

We were in Oslo for four days, including New Years Eve. In America, New Year is a huge deal. We all know that because we've all probably watched Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve every year since we were born. People are in the streets celebrating and making noise, just ringing in the new year.In Oslo, it is much different. I sent my last few minutes of 2017 on top of the Oslo Opera House with maybe 200 other Norwegians. For about 11:30pm - 12:30am, fireworks were going off all around the city and           were easy to spot on top of the Opera. I felt that this was not just a celebration of the upcoming year but also a reflection on the great things 2017 had brought.

                                                                                              Oslo Opera House

No matter where you go in Oslo, they do not count down the new year. It is simply not in their nature. There isn't a big clock that people surround, screaming the last 10 seconds. Well, except for us. We decide to give Oslo a little taste of Manhattan and we started a countdown by using the world clock on our phones. Some people definitely thought we were crazy American tourists but the majority joined in with us. By having this opportunity, I can confirm that there is no better way to start the new year than in Oslo, Norway.



     Snowy Days Roaming in Oslo

Comments