Freiburg: Hallo, Deutschland!

It’s been one week since I arrived in Freiburg, and I’ve had an extremely busy schedule so far. I moved into my student apartment, got a SIM card, went on a tour around the city, shopped at IKEA, had my first German language class, and snowshoed in the Black Forest in a matter of seven days! Hectic? Yes. Exciting? Definitely. Freiburg is a beautiful city with lots of character. Every turn brings views of cobblestone streets, bright colors, medieval-looking buildings, and sometimes even small canals. As cheesy as it sounds, it’s a place straight out of a fairytale. 




Despite being in Freiburg for only a few days, I can already say that it lives up to its green reputation. On the train to the city, my view from my seat consisted of solar panels — lots of them. They were on houses in every neighborhood we passed, on roofs of commercial buildings, and clustered together on what appeared to be solar farms. As I settled into my apartment, I was immediately introduced to the recycling bins and the proper division of recyclables. I also had the opportunity to get money back on a water bottle that I returned after I was finished with it — a common incentive to recycle that is popular in Germany but difficult to come across in the United States. Furthermore, plastic bags are rare to find. Most people use reusable bags or pay to use paper bags. I even came across a small zero-waste grocery shop. You can be sure that the streets of Freiburg are litter-free! 




It’s also rare to see many cars on the road. Instead, bikes and public transportation are popular ways to get around. Luckily, my residence building is located right in front of a tram station, making it easy for me to get in and out of the city center. I will also be taking a bike tour of the city for one of the classes that I have to take, giving me a chance to experience Freiburg as the locals do.

I’m loving it here, and I cannot wait to see more of what Freiburg (and Europe) has to offer. 

Tschüss!


Comments

Post a Comment