ROME: When in Rome, Do as the Romans Do

by Jessica Solan

No matter how hard I try to wrap my head around it, I don't think my brain will ever comprehend that I am in Rome - and not just some knock-off brand Rome, but the Rome.

As much as I love America, we only have several hundred years of history. Before this trip, I would find awe in two-hundred year old buildings. Now, I could not avoid a two-thousand year old building, even if I wanted to. When I heard that we would have four long classes every day on four days per week, I thought my new friends and I would just be missing the center of Rome more than half of the time. When classes began, I found out that we would be taking three or four field trips into the city per week, and those trips always make my day! My"Christian Faith and the Arts" class has been visiting two ancient churches every week, and the artwork, architecture, history, and ages of these places is astounding.

Modern Rome is beautiful in a different way. The colorful buildings, the zooming tiny cars, and the hustle of 21st century Italians fill the streets. Modernized trattorias and pasticcerias send their scents down the streets with parked vespas all over. The palace on top of a hill used to be the only way to feel the world at your fingertips, which can now be felt by sitting on a rooftop restaurant and taking in the city views of Rome.

Rome is a city that always has more to discover. Once you think you have seen everything, you realize that there are a few centuries you forgot to look into, as well as the upcoming times in this ever-changing city. Yet, no matter how much Rome changes, the Romans make sure that they never forget what they came from.

Roman Forum

Circo Massimo at Sunset


Comments

  1. What a fantastic adventure!!! Enjoy your course work, especially traveling through the centuries while visiting Rome of the past in the present.
    Walking past the cafes and pasticcerias, perhaps stopping in on occasion, is the way to see life in the Eternal City.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy sweetie. You'll never forget this time. Miss you and love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment