JAPAN: A World 13 Hours Away

Hello Jaspers!

These past few days have definitely been quite an experience for me. Some things seem very familiar while others seem like something I could only imagine happening. Coming from one big city to then landing in Tokyo was a little disappointing to be quite honest with you all. Tokyo is pretty much the same as New York City, well at least in Shibuya. Shibuya is a symbolic urban scenery and probably the "scramble" of all of Japan, very much like Times Square. It is packed with people at every corner, foreigners like me taking pictures of everything and causing foot traffic, bright lights at night, etc. Although these are the things that remind me of NYC there are many things that distinguish Shibuya from Times Square. Some of which are, shorter buildings, stores which are way more expensive, it is denser and more compact than NYC, those neon lights and those illuminated fronts of buildings seem to be squeezed together. But to shed some light on what I just said it is still very spectacular to be here. Besides all the things that remind me of NYC, there are things that I wish people in NYC could take notes on and adopt.

The Japanese people fascinate me. Their way of conduct and their way of life is very admirable. People here are sophisticated and orderly. Everyone walks to their left side on the sidewalk or anywhere else so there is never any fuss on the streets, people do not talk on their phones on the train or to each other (and if they do, they whisper), everyone is kind to each other, there is no trash on the street (there are limited garbage cans so, people take their trash home with them) and there is very little crime here in Japan. It is like living in an alternate universe and I love every second of it. I would not mind living here in the future.

Comments