Spring 2020 blog contest: Deirdre Heavey (First-Place Winner)

I woke up on Friday, March 13, in sunny Barcelona, Spain, to a notification that the Spanish Prime Minister had declared a state of emergency. The country would be going into lockdown at midnight, meaning no one in Spain would be allowed to leave their homes for any nonessential reason.

That morning, my housemates and I sat around the table on our balcony as we debated whether or not we should book flights back to our home countries. We cried and we laughed as we questioned how we were going to leave the beautifully blissful city of Barcelona. For the last time, we sat around the table and enjoyed the presence of people who we probably would never see again despite living under the same roof for months.

Later that evening, my three best friends that I had met in Barcelona came over for dinner. We prepared dinner together, making use of the food I had stockpiled earlier in the week when I thought there was nothing that could make me leave Barcelona. We sat around the table on my balcony, listening to Frank Sinatra, passing around patatas bravas, and sharing our highs and lows of the past few months we shared together in Barcelona. My flight was booked for the following day. We watched Call Me By Your Name, because it was on Spanish Netflix, and all cried when it was time to say goodbye.

Around the table of my balcony in Barcelona on what became my last day in Spain, I shared moments of authenticity with those who had become my family in just a few short months. Each of us had come to Barcelona in search of something unique, and each would inevitably leave for the same unavoidable reason.

Just a month ago, my community was large and expanding each day. I was making new friends from around the world as I laughed and learned in kinship with international students. Today, my community often feels small and limited as I approach my fourth week of quarantine in my hometown of San Francisco, California.

Earlier today, I was hiking my favorite trail near my house, Mount Davidson. I was playing “No Woman” by Whitney out loud on my phone when someone passed me saying, “Hey! That’s a great song.” Then, I didn’t feel so alone.

As our world collectively grieves from COVID-19, I have found solace recalling my final moments in Spain. While I was upset to leave the beautiful people and places that became my home, I am comforted by the little moments I share with strangers amidst the madness. I am grounded in the positivity shared between strangers as well as the authenticity shared with loved ones. Let’s show up for one another during this time by reminiscing with friends about better days and never forgetting to manifest happiness for the future.


Author: Deirdre Heavey
Program: Exchange at the Universitat Abat Oliba CEU in Barcelona, Spain, Spring 2020 semester

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read your blog. Your blog is very informative. Thank you for sharing this kind of content with us. I am also applying for study abroad . study abroad. can you please suggest to me the best universities abroad?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent Blog!
    Are you looking for Canada Immigration Consultants in Noida in that case you can easily visit our website and register for yourself with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post really has been done with quite a research, that was really quite informative, thank you. Please feel free to check out our services too. Navchetana international education is the best Study MBBS in Abroad Consultants in India.
    Visit for more information Consultant for MBBS in abroad

    ReplyDelete
  9. Navchetana international education gives you good facility for admission in the best medical college in Russia.
    We are known for our excellent work for medical Indian student study MBBS in Ukraine.
    We offer affordable cost for admission and study MBBS in Philippines.
    Get admission in top most selected universities for study MBBS in Kazakhstan.
    Indian student can apply for study MBBS in Russia.
    Please feel free to check out our services too. Navchetana international education is the best Study MBBS in Abroad Consultants in India.
    Visit for more information Study MBBS in abroad

    Website- www.navchetanaglobal.com
    Email: Info@Navchetanaglobal.com
    Telephone:7835009900

    ReplyDelete
  10. A right post for all kinds of education solutions, here are you could get excellent and experience education consultants. which is give a right option for growing your future.
    Oaks Overseas Experience

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing your good ideas. I was really inspired to read your article. Please do not miss the opportunity to visit our website.
    wordpress
    ufa88kh.blogspot
    youtube
    SA GAMING

    ReplyDelete

  12. Pursuing MBBS in Armenia opens doors to a world-class medical education, cultural immersion, and global recognition. Aspiring medical professionals find a nurturing environment that prepares them for a successful and impactful career in the field of medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A shining example of academic greatness, the University of Iowa provides students with a wide variety of programs and a campus life that is full of energy and excitement. By providing students with a supportive atmosphere in which they can thrive in their chosen professions, the University of Iowa, which is renowned for its creative research and top-notch professors, helps to cultivate a legacy of achievement and leadership over time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Samarkand State Medical Institute is a prestigious institution dedicated to shaping the future of healthcare. With a focus on academic excellence and cutting-edge research, it equips students with the knowledge and skills needed to thrive in the medical field. The institute's commitment to innovation and community health makes it a leading choice for aspiring healthcare professionals.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Al-Farabi Kazakh National University is a prestigious institution renowned for its academic excellence and research contributions. With a rich history spanning decades, it has established itself as a leader in higher education in Kazakhstan and beyond. The university's commitment to innovation, diversity, and global engagement makes it a hub for intellectual growth and societal advancement.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment