MADRID 2020: "De Madrid al cielo."

From Madrid To Heaven
"De Madrid al cielo."

February 22, 2020. 
Madrid, España. 

There is nothing like walking through the streets of Madrid. Music and laughter are always present within the crowds. Every corner of every street has a story anxiously waiting to be told... the streets have become my muse. And walking or sitting in a plaza while reading, drawing, or simply watching the people pass by while eating "tapas" has become my favorite hobby. And I wouldn't change it for anything in the world. 

It is safe to say that, so far, everything feels simply perfect here in Madrid. The people are kind and friendly, the university is professional and safe, the food is exquisite, and the city manages to give me something to write about or something to hold dear in my memory every single day. 

Last Monday, after I went to my 8:30 class, I decided to take a walk through El Viejo Madrid to discover the history of the city a bit more. As I got out of the Metro Station and started walking, I stumbled upon an old woman sitting on the corner of the street selling handmade jewelry. She looked at me as she was finishing what appeared to be one of her longest necklaces as if she knew that I was going to pass by, and she gave me a smile. 

- This one is for you- she said in Spanish while extending her arm up and handing me one of her golden necklaces that had a brown beautiful marble stone tangled within a golden wire. As if she knew my first language is Spanish and that I was planning on buying a necklace. Her face looked tired, but that did not take away the honest and beautiful smile she had on her face. I asked her how much it was. 

- Fire euros- she replied-, but I will give you another one for free simply because it is Monday.

I had no idea what made the woman think that I deserved two of her necklaces, but I decided to simply agree, sit down, and talk to her while she finished doing her job. We talked about the city and I told her about my fascination with it. I told her that I am a student and writer from Puerto Rico and that my wish is to fly to the heavens and travel the entire planet. And as I saw her finish the necklaces and handed her the five euro bill, she handed me both necklaces with the same tired, but happy and caring smile, and she told me something that I will forever hold dear: 

- "De Madrid al cielo, cari. De Madrid al cielo...". 






Comments