Galway: Sailing,Societies and being a Secretary

Well classes have been on for quite some time now, we are slowly but surely approaching full swing. Societies and clubs have gotten underway and boy, are things interesting! As I mentioned a while ago, NUIG takes student societies and clubs to a whole new level. SocsDay and Clubs Day were both huge events, taking entire ballrooms and gyms to lay out the tables of the 112 societies and over 50 clubs available for students. As internationals we were encouraged to sign up for anything and everything... well, I took their advice, but I am pleased to say that I have found my few niches. 

I had originally signed up for about five or six societies (including but not limited to: PotterSoc, BakingSoc, Marine Animal Soc, and ZoologySoc). Well, I know I'm here to learn and absorb new experiences and cultures, but I couldn't help myself. I signed up for American Football Soc! American Football Soc is a lovely Soc, dedicated to bringing the joy, frustration and chili to Ireland! I am, of course, speaking its glory as the newly elected Secretary of the American Football Society's official Committee Board. Yes, I am an elected official officer of AFS! As such, I have completed the mandatory Student Union training, a course of three classes over two days! Indeed, you read that correctly, we have official training! I learned about public speaking, the benefits of societies on grades and graduate school applications (even job applications), and of course, how to plan big events.... Thanks Giving Day Football party? Maybe a Linebacker Ball? Who knows...

Anyway, on the more hands-on side of the spectrum, I did also sign up for some clubs! My personal favorite being Sailing Club! Now, I know what you must be thinking, COLD! Right? Well, you're right... and wrong. It's really cold when you drive out to the harbor and star at the grey, choppy water and think about putting on a cold, damp wetsuit. Once you step into the water, it's all a blur of fun and fear! I can honestly say, I would never have tried something like this at home, but I am SO glad I did here! We sail two-man skiffs with one sail, and it is about the most fun a girl could possibly have! The crowd at Sailing Club is incredibly diverse too! My partner is a young man from California, we formed the team NYCA (a combo of NY and CA which sounds very similar to Nike when pronounced in the middle of a wind gust). Our first competition will be about a month from now, around Halloween! It will be in a small fishing village called Dingle! But just in case you weren't cold just reading this, I threw a photo into the mix too! 
NYCA sets sail 

Comments