A Welcoming Dinner in Costa Rica

The build up to this year's winter trip was a bit nerve wrecking for myself. I was not familiar with many of the names on the list for the trip, and I haven't been placed in a situation with little to no familiar people... probably since entering college. Thankfully I felt comfortable as soon as I got to our flight terminal, being greeted by Dr. Predmore and her daughter Elizabeth it was hard not to feel a little better.

As soon as we arrived to San Jose, we were picked up by our tour guide for the trip and taken to the hotel to freshen up. Afterwards we were to be picked up by Andres Oreamuno, a Manhattan College Alum who started a Hop on Hop off Tour in San Jose, and his mother Roxanne. After being taken around San Jose for a few hours, many of us were absolutely exhausted (since we had to be at the airport by 4AM, many of us had not slept at all the night before). We were invited to an optional dinner with Andres and his mother Roxanne, many people just wanted to go to sleep but my roommate Samantha and  I discussed it and decided to join them for dinner.

Once Roxanne and Andres picked us up from the hotel we were asked if we would like to drive through a nice little town which would be on our way to the restaurant. In this cute little town, Roxanne proceeded to explain to us how every town must have a plaza, church, and school in order to be considered a town. We continued on to a street where it seemed like all the houses on the street had agreed to have their homes filled with christmas decorations and the families sell all sorts of things in front of their homes (mostly food), one of which was pupusas, a traditional El Salvadorian snack which consists of tortillas with cheese and or meat in the middle. After visiting this festive little street we continued on to the restaurant we would be dining at.

En route to a Peruvian restaurant, I listened to the conversations which filled our van. Sitting in that backseat I felt as if I travelled around the world by listening to their conversations about all the different countries they had visited and the politics and economics of each country. I felt like I was in a lecture but better, it truly was conversational and it wasn't planned to be a lecture. That was when I knew we were going to dinner with intellectuals.

Comments