Paris: The churches

Greetings! I initially felt badly that I wasn't able to post while studying in Paris, but being able to look back and select images to post and describe everything I saw is like taking a mini-vacation while drowning in Senior Seminar and interning and life. 

There is an insane amount of churches in Paris. They're everywhere.

Sacré-Cœur
I talked a lot about the Sacré-Cœur in my previous post about how gorgeous everything in Paris is. It's the highest point in Paris and it's totally worth walking up every step.

Saint-Chappelle
Prepare to witness the most amazing stained glass windows you've ever seen. I never thought windows would excite me, but then I walked into this...



LOOK AT THEM. It was the most awe-inspiring craftsmanship I've ever seen. Three-story tall gorgeousness.


The Notre-Dame was almost intimidating in its stature and architectural design. 


As gothically stunning as it is, I have to say I wasn't wowed by Notre Dame, probably because we first toured Chartres Cathedral, Notre Dame's rival Parisian church.


Something about the asymmetry caught my eyes more than Notre Dame. Also, learning that this church was built in an awe-inspiring 27 years. Not wowed? Compare that to Notre Dame's construction: 182 years. I mean WHAT. And look at the details that these people created with their hands and basic sculpting tools. Crazy.

If you look closely at the arches on the left - you can see it was designed to emulate the signs of the zodiac. The easiest to spot is Scorpio towards the top.


Chartres was my favorite church - probably because we toured it for three hours and I saw way more details than I wanted to at the time.

The church inside the Palace of Versailles.
No grossly overzealous mansion is complete without a personal church.


More pretty stained glass - I believe in Chartres.

A rando church in Paris. It looks like a mini-Notre Dame.
I did it! I (finally) typed another blog post. My next posts are going to be about food and oddities (think 300-year-old body that hasn't decayed). Until next time!

Comments