Plaza de España and Templo de Debod

Hello Jaspers,

There was a slight change of plans this weekend because it has been pouring here in Madrid since Friday afternoon. As a result of this, I was unable to go to El Escorial, but I found some pictures in my phone that I have not shared with you yet.

These were taken about a month and a half ago, and it was one of my first adventures in Madrid with my roommate. So here they are:



This is Plaza de España, and that in the background is the monument to Cervantes. As you can see from the pictures, the sun was about to set. On the way back home, I forgot to take a picture of how amazing it looks at night. 


This is the Templo de Debod. It is breathtaking at night, with all the water and the moon reflecting on it. I need to go back when it's a little bit warmer and enjoy an ice-cream while the sun sets. 

When the sun finally sets, they turn on the lights and it's even more beautiful. From the picture it seems that I am the only one there, but no. There were many couples and families taking pictures.


See how beautifully the ruins reflect on the water? 



Look at that architecture! I wan to go there! Remember my post on Plaza de Cibeles? Well, it's the same Church!

This amazing view is a few steps away from the Templo de Debod, and you can see part of Madrid on the background. 
And the best for last, Don Quijote and Sancho Panza behind the monument to Cervantes:
This is the monument to Cervantes, the one from the first pictures but with a close-up.

Look at them! So iconic, I love it! The irony of the picture is the building on the background. Can you imagine what Don Quijote would have thought of it? Maybe that it was a giant, but without the huge hands? If you do not get that, you should really read the book; it's so good!

That's me next to them. 
In order to get there, I had to climb some stairs go between Rocinante's legs, and emerge from underneath Don Quijote's foot. But I did it!

Even at this landmark, I was able to find fountains, look at them:

They are right behind the Templo de Debod. Fountains never scape my sight!

So there you have it, I hope you guys liked the post, and stay-tuned for the next posts on Cáritas and El Escorial.

--Paulina Ochoa - F.




Comments