Galway

September 26th
For my Biogeography, we had a field assignment to complete. After class, we were put into groups and had to walk to field on the campus of the college. When we were there, we had to identify what we saw based on what we have learned about habitats. This was very interesting. It brought what we were learning in the lecture to real life, which is what my goal for my future in teaching. Later that evening, I participated in Game Nights for Best Buddies. This was for people with special needs to come together and have a night out with the volunteers of Best Buddies. I had so much fun. We played games, had pizza & treats, and really got to know each other. Best Buddies has become important to me during my time here because it goes hand and hand with my major in Special Education at Manhattan College.

September 27th
After my classes, I met up with my Aunt Doreen's best friend Angela and her son (one of my first best friends). It was great seeing them. We went for a bite to eat and did some shopping. That night Bridget and I hung out with our housemates and their friends, who have become our friends. I really like that we were matched up with Irish students. I think it has helped us to become more situated living here.


September 28th
After class, Bridget and I started our first step in our adventure to Scotland. We took the train from Galway to Dublin then from Galway to Belfast. It took us about six hours, but we didn't mind the long travel because the trains here are very comfortable and we had each other to talk to. We spent the night in Belfast because we were taking a ferry from Belfast to Scotland the next morning. For our other trips, we will be flying so we thought it be cool to do something different. From the short while we were in Belfast, I really liked it. It was very similar to many different cities back home. I can't wait to go back in a few weeks when my family comes to visit.


September 29th
Getting ready to go to Scotland that morning, I was expecting to pull up to a small little ferry for our short two hour trip. Much to our surprise, the ferry was equivalent to a cruise ship. We were so excited. The ship was 10 floors with several cafes, a gift shop, movie theatre, spa, sun deck, and many comfortable lounge areas. It was amazing. We arrived in Scotland and it was breathtaking. That evening we met up with my aunt, uncle, and cousins. My Uncle Jim and Aunt Trish drove us around the city pointing out different landmarks. It is an amazing city with incredible history.  We stayed with my cousins Kimberly and Connor in Glasgow. Their house was gorgeous! We really felt so at home and comfortable. This day was also a little bittersweet because it was my Grandpa's birthday at home and the anniversary of my friend Matt passing away. I had sent home my Grandpa's birthday gift with my friend Kelly and he loved it. That evening I made sure to pray to my friend Matt to continue to be one of my angels and watch over me.


September 30th
My Uncle Gary arrived this morning from NY. Today, one of my childhood dreams came true. Growing up my Uncle Gary and I bonded over sports. We would get our sports apparel on and watch many games together. Some of these games included Celtic FC. This is the soccer team from Glasgow. I have been supporting them since I was a little girl from the Celtic House in the Bronx. My dream was to one day watch them live in Celtic Park with my Uncle Gary. Today, the dream came true. We all headed to the game, Bridget, my Uncle Gary, Uncle Jim, my cousins Kimberly, Michele, and Connor, Connor's dad, and their friend. The atmosphere in Celtic Park was truly indescribable. When the crowd sang together "You'll Never Walk Alone" tears came to my eyes. Although the game ended in a draw, it was checked off my bucket list. That night, we all went out to a lovely dinner. There's no better feeling than being surrounded by your loving family.



October 1st
We had told Kimberly and Connor how much we missed Dunkin Donuts from the US. This morning they brought us to Krispy Kreme, which would be the closest thing to Dunkin Donuts. It was very tasty. We spent the day in Edinburg, which is a magnificent city. The architecture was breathtaking. We walked around taking in the views in awe. Uncle Gary, Bridget, Connor, Kimberly, and I took a tour around the Edinburg Castle, which was filled with history. I am so glad we chose to spend the day there because it was amazing. It would definitely be one of my favorite cities I've visited, along with Glasgow.
 

October 2nd
Our short weekend trip had come to an end. In all honesty, it was very hard to leave Scotland. I can't explain how grateful I am for the amazing weekend we had thanks to my wonderful family. I do believe that the most exciting hellos make for the hardest see you laters. Bridget and I will definitely return to Scotland, if not during this trip, some time in the near future. We took the ferry back to Belfast and continued onto Dublin then back to Galway.

Comments

  1. We love reading of your adventures in Ireland, the North and Scotland..... Good thing the weekend ended. Now you can get back to class for some rest. :) :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment