Galway

November 16th
Today, NUIG had a charity event called Christmas Day. Everyone dresses up with Christmas sweaters and has a Christmas dinner together. The proceeds from the day go to domestic violence prevention. It was a great way to get into the holiday spirit. My cousin John flew over to Ireland tonight to participate in a study exchange program through Fordham Prep at the Clongowes School in Kildare. It's crazy to think that we are studying in Ireland at the same time. 

November 17th
This morning I met up with my friend Michelle for coffee and introduced her to Bridget. Although I have only seen her twice since I'm here, it's great to know she's not far away. That night I packed for my trip home for Thanksgiving. We also were very excited for the arrival of Bridget's parents the next day.  The timing was perfect because the Galway Christmas market has just begun.

November 18th 
This morning Bridget's parents arrived in Galway. It was really great to see them after almost three months. We had a great day catching up and showing them around Galway, our other home. 

November 19th 
Early that morning I hopped on a bus to Dublin Airport. I was traveling home for the week to celebrate Thanksgiving with my family. This past year we lost my Aunt Meme and I really couldn't imagine not spending our first holiday without my family. It was also my godson Connor's first Thanksgiving. I am extremely grateful that my aunt and uncle provided me with the opportunity to come home to spend the holiday with my loved ones. The rest of my family thought I was going to be flying home on Monday. My Aunt Doreen and best friend Carly picked me up from the airport and we surprised the rest of my family and friends at home. To see the excitement on my Nana's face made my heart fill with joy. Soon after arriving to Woodlawn, I attended evening mass at St. Barnabas which I missed very much. I spent the night having dinner and catching up with everyone. 

November 20th 
As cozy as my room is in Galway, nothing beats sleeping in your own bed at home. I spent the day indulging in the little things I missed most including Dunkin Donuts, mani/pedi, and spending time with my family & friends. I was also lucky because my mom had taken the day off to pick me up from the airport, so we got to hang out. 
November 21st 
It was amazing to wake up to my little Connor. I spent my morning with him playing and watching his favorite show. That night I went out to dinner with our dear friends Jeannine, Genie, and Bridget. They took me to one of my favorite Italian restaurants. Although they are friends, I think of Jeannine and Genie as my aunt and uncle and little Bridget as my cousin. It was awesome to catch up with them. 
 

November 22nd 
Throughout high school, our favorite day of the year was Pep Rally. Now being an alum, that feeling hasn't changed. Maria Regina will always have a special place in my heart and the warm feeling never goes away walking through the doors. My best friend Erica and I attended the Maria Regina Pep Rally this morning. It was amazing to see everyone including both faculty and students. Our little freshmen sisters are now seniors, which is crazy for me to think. After pep rally, Erica and I brought home lunch to our moms. Erica's mom and my mom grew up next door to each other. Her grandparents and my grandparents are great friends, her mom and my mom are great friends, and Erica and I have been best friends since we were born. Growing up, we did everything together from toddlers until senior year of high school. Some of my best memories include her and her family. Having lunch at her house really made me feel like I was home. After running a few errands, that night I caught up with most of my friends that I hadn't seen since the summer. It was really the best! 

November 23rd
The big day! Our Thanksgiving morning started as it does every year by attending the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. It is one of my favorite things. This year was Connor's first time, but we definitely missed our John who was still in Ireland. The sun was shining and NYC was in all its glory. We then traveled to Woodlawn  to spend the day at home. I really have to say my grandma does make the best food. After three months away, this was the perfect home cooked meal. There is no place in the world I would have rather been than right there with my family. This year was particularly hard as it was our first holiday and Thanksgiving without my Aunt Meme. She really brought so much laughter and happiness when she was around. Even though we had a great day, you could really notice her not there. 
November 24th 
Today, we traveled to East Northport, Long Island to have Thanksgiving with my Nana's family. It was great to see everyone. My cousins had traveled from North Carolina with the new edition to our clan , Owen. Everyone was so excited to hear about my time abroad. That evening, my Aunt Tricia and I went to my favorite place. There's nothing better than Madison Square Garden for a New York Ranger game. Being that I'm not going to be home for my Aunt Tricia's birthday in December I thought this would be a good birthday gift. I was lucky enough to get the tickets from my amazing Cousin Paul, who drives the Zamboni for the NYR. That feeling of excitement still comes over me every time I step foot in MSG. Being able to go down to where my Cousin Paul is truly an amazing perk. Lucky for us, the Rangers were on their A Game and won in Overtime. It was an amazing night spending time with my Aunt Tricia in my favorite place! 






November 25th
Our John was coming home today from Ireland! I couldn't wait to see him. My silly Aunt Tricia decided that we were going to have our own Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade for John since he missed it. She bought us all character balloons and dressed baby Connor up as a turkey. This gave us all a good laugh. Seeing John's face when we all marched out with our balloons was really priceless. My Nana also made us all Thanksgiving dinner again for John. Having not one but two Thanksgivings was pretty awesome. This was the first time in three months we were all together in my house and there is really no better feeling in the world. 
November 26th 
Sunday Funday! Our morning started off with our famous Sunday brunch at my house. Friends stopped by to say goodbye before heading back to school. I can't believe it is less than three weeks until we are all back for good. That night, my mom and I attended evening mass at St. Barnabas. After mass, I was able to catch up with one of my favorite elementary school teachers, Mrs. Macias. She is an extraordinary teacher and one of my inspirations for perusing a career in Education. Mrs. Macias had taught both my mom and I at St. Barnabas Elementary School. She is a true legend in our parish. Seeing how proud she was of me really meant so much. That night my aunts, mom, John, and I had our last dinner together for the next few weeks. 
November 27th 

Today, I made my way back to Galway. I spent the morning getting myself organized and running a few errands. I then spent time with my family before heading to JFK. I really can't believe that I will be back home in a few weeks. I'm very excited to make the most of the remaining time I have in Ireland. 
November 28th 
I arrived safe and sound back to Ireland this morning. It was great to see Bridget after the week apart. We thought we would be sick of each other by now (only kidding!) Coming back to Galway felt much different than when I first arrived. I have made a home here for myself. I will definitely be sad leaving it in a couple of weeks. 

Comments

  1. WOW ! ! ! What a whirlwind week. Enjoy the remaining time... can't wait to see you and hear the stories in person. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment