Italy: Forza Italy!

When feeling the fresh breeze while walking the streets of Florence, I realized what they say is true: you can manifest your visions into reality. From the delicious grilled bread rubbed with garlic, topped with tomatoes and olive oil to the fettuccine marinated in the right amount of sheep cheese and mussels. I was truly amazed and the best thing was that it was only the beginning. I was very grateful for experiencing the true Italian eating tradition where we would eat about three to four dishes at dinner. It was very different from what I was accustomed to in New York. Not only was the food unbelievably good but there was more to it. I knew there had to be a reason why Italians insist on staying at a dinner table for quite a long time. I found myself getting to know more about my classmates at dinner than on a day-long trip. Italians value the time they have at the dinner table, it is the key to family bonding. I will definitely adopt this new lifestyle when I go back home. 

While I was in Florence, I was truly intrigued by the authenticity and freshness of the meat, cheese, pasta, and even the water. I was able to endure the organic meals that were not filled with GMOs, chemicals, or any substances I can’t even pronounce.

Not only is Italy known for their delicious food, like their exotic cheeses and wines, but they are also one of the world’s top competitors in the sport of football (what we call soccer). It is known to be the significant cultural component that brings people from Latin America and European countries together. I loved having the opportunity to immerse myself in the sports culture of Italy.


 As I was exiting the Vatican museum, I came across this display that caught me off guard. It had the Argentinian, Italian and Brazilian jerseys, cleats, and soccer balls signed and on display. They even had a picture with the pope being handed a soccer ball by Gigi Buffon who is known to be one of the greatest goalkeepers of all time. 


It was amazing to see how this display correlates so well with the religion course I am taking in Italy. I never would have imagined that my favorite sport could intersect with my religion. It truly is amazing to see how the team players are still connected to their religion. In the middle of the display, you can see they are receiving a blessing from the pope. 


Although I was very appreciative of being able to see this view, nothing will compare to the night where I lived through a championship that hasn’t been won in 52 years. The adrenaline that flourished in the atmosphere during the European Football Championship 2020 Game was my biggest highlight of this trip. I was fortunate enough to experience this one spontaneous moment where those with different languages and diverse backgrounds unite. Being on your toes and having the same reaction as the locals when the national team would score or miss was the best feeling I’ve ever had. Sitting down on the edge of my seat, I saw the last penalty kick that will determine Italy’s Football record. I watched England's last penalty kick being blocked, the greatest relief I've had. There were moments I would pause and take it all in. In those moments I fell in love harder with my career choice. I even started looking into schools that offer sports medicine programs that are somewhat connected to Italy’s national football team. It was the perfect setting to enhance one’s sport spirit. I can proudly say Forza Italia!







Comments

  1. Thank you, Paloma, for taking us along on your fantastic Italian experience. Food, Football, and the Pope.... what more could one ask for?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment