Rome: Adventures in a Magical City

 Rome Winter Intersession 2021-2022

 Maya Tirone-Goehring              

 Posted 1/6/2021

    I arrived in Rome on the 29th of December and since then it has been a nonstop adventure. The food, the people, the art, and the culture have exceeded my expectations. In only a week I feel as though I have immersed myself in Roman culture and history in ways I never thought were possible. I am so grateful for this opportunity and look forward to sharing with you a glimpse into my experience so far. 

Trevi Fountain 

 One of the first things we did on this trip, was a visit to the Trevi fountain, as a group. This excursion was the first time we went into the heart of Rome as well as the first time we would navigate public transportation in Italy. Everything was so new and magical, I wish I could relive this first Roman excursion. I was so excited to venture further into Rome and have the opportunity to throw a coin into the fountain. 
    It had been a goal of mine to throw a coin into the Trevi fountain since I first saw the film Three Coins in the Fountain as a young child. Once I could process and or fathom the beautiful sight in front of me, I made my dream come true and threw my coins into the fountain. The area around the fountain has become one of my favorite places in Rome, and I have been back to it several times since our first visit. 


The Dome at Saint Peter's 

    In the following days, we had the opportunity to climb into the Dome, on top of Saint Peters Basilica. Being in Vatican City was surreal in itself BUT climbing up to the very top of its structure was simply amazing. In order to get to the top of the basilica, we had to climb up around 500 stairs. While the hike up the dome was challenging it was so worthwhile. From the top of the Dome, we had a wonderful view of Rome and its diverse landscape and architecture. In addition to that, we were on top of the basilica during sunset. The entire experience felt spiritual and almost as if it was an out-of-body experience. Below is a picture of the view from the top of the Dome and a picture of me and the sunset while we were there. 




 

Papal Audience
    
    Yesterday on Wednesday, December 5th we attended a Papal Audience reading. When I first read our class itinerary and saw that it said 'Papal Audience' I did not realize what we were going to witness. I assumed we would be in the back of a packed arena where the Pope would speak either briefly and or not personally to the audience. I was stunned when I found myself face to face with Pope Francis and his bodyguards. 
    I feel so privileged to have had the opportunity to attend this event as well as represent Manhattan College while doing so. The whole service was moving and I felt rejuvenated just being in the space. I felt such a sense of unity and community while in attendance. Below is a picture I took as the Pope walked by me and my fellow classmates. 


    
       This blog post only provides a glimpse into what we have been exploring in Rome, but I hope you enjoyed it.
 
While I am only halfway through this trip, the experiences and thought-provoking conversations I have had have impacted me tremendously. This study abroad opportunity is life-changing. 
I am beyond grateful for this scholarship opportunity. Thank you again to Study Abroad and the Michael '58 and Aimee Kakos Scholarship for making this possible. 

Comments