Florence: Veni, Vidi, Amavi (we came, we saw, we loved)!

Firenze, with its food, culture, cathedrals, and an endless supply of gelato, has left a mark on my heart. We began our study abroad program in Rome by visiting church after church, appreciating each architectural diversity. The stained glass windows, the incredible and massive ceilings, and the gorgeous statues in each cathedral. In my opinion, St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City was the most beautiful! We were even able to attend a mass there one afternoon, which was an incredible experience for my classmates and I. The magnificence of the cathedral was beyond anything I had ever seen before, especially while I was walking underground, surrounded by important religious figures in Roman Catholic history such as St. Peter's and John Paul III's tombs.



Along with Rome, we were able to visit the quaint town of Assisi which houses the Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi. I remember strolling through Assisi and stopping in an artist’s shop that was filled with landscapes of Assisi, paintings of the crucifixion of Jesus, and portraits of St. Francis, all done in watercolor. He was so proud to tell me that his store had been the oldest in Assisi and goes back generations and generations. I was lucky enough to even add a few strokes to a painting he was working on while I was walking around his shop. Moments like this are what led me to value each artwork that I came across in Italy. The artists there were so passionate about their work and cared about what each of their pieces meant to themselves and to others.



We were also able to visit the famous city of Pisa, where we were challenged to pose our bodies in such a creative manner so that we looked like we were holding the Leaning Tower of Pisa! And on one of our free days, my group and I decided to take a trip to the Italian beach town Viareggio, where we were able to relax, unwind, and take in the scenery that surrounded us. We found it easy to navigate to different cities in Italy through their accessible train system. 




One of the highlights of the trip was visiting Florence's most famous sandwich shop, "All'antico Vinaio," where they made the sandwiches fresh right in front of us. Because I am an avid coffee lover, I tried a cup of espresso or cappuccino almost wherever I went. My mouth watered at the Italian pastries, fresh meats, and delicious appetizers like bruschetta or prosciutto and melon.



Florence was prospering, with numerous leather stores, live music heard from every corner, and, of course, the famed Duomo church, which serves as the city's beating heart. My experience has been beyond my expectations, and having the greatest group to share these experiences makes it even better!  We enjoyed some great conversations over the traditional Italian meal of bread, pasta, and wine. A year ago today, or even six months ago, I would have never imagined I would be in Italy, practicing the basic Italian I learned this past year and going to places I only thought I would ever see in pictures. But, I am grateful for each experience I have had here so far and I owe a huge “grazie” to everyone who made this trip possible and enjoyable.

Ciao for now, Firenze!

Comments

  1. Hey, your article is fantastic, and I want to suggest this page to you since it has the similar < a href="?utm_source=seo&utm_campaign=s-all-mul-seo-bc-04-aug-2022-ad">context.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing a great information on study abroad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment