Anna's Adventures in Austria

 May 27th 2023

Hello! This is Anna and I am having an amazing time traveling with Dr. Mulligan's Catholic Mass and Its Music class. After departing NYC on the 16th, we flew into Istanbul and waited for our connecting flight to Salzburg, Austria. On the flight there, I actually met a student from New York University who was sitting next to me and was taking a connecting flight to China. After our time together on the flight, I learned that we actually shared a professor and had a good laugh bonding over similar lectures we had sat in. What a small world it really is. 

    When arriving in Salzburg, Austria, our group stayed in a local hostel for a couple of days. It was really fun because in a way it felt like I was experiencing summer camp with all of us ladies in a room sharing bunks. We explored the city greatly, and even saw iconic scenes from "The Sound of Music". In addition, we toured where Mozart once lived with his family, and it was incredible to learn about his family dynamics. Learning this perspective showed me that individuals really are not different from one another throughout the centuries and that music can connect anyone together by providing a common language. It is easy to feel separated by other cultures, but music sets a framework for anyone to be involved.  We then went on to explore the city with the direction of our professor, and it was breathtaking. On the 18th we went to St. Peter's Basilica, and there were 5 different types of organs. The choir was behind the congregation in the loft, as well as the orchestra. The music was unbelievable. 

    On my second night in Salzburg, a group of us decided to go to a local cafe. I ended up meeting a bunch of theater people and classical players and it was exhilarating. In my young adult life, I played clarinet for over 10 years, and the individuals who played in local orchestras of classic iconic music encouraged me and teased me to pick up the clarinet when I go home, and I think I will.  

    After Salzburg, we took a train to Vienna where I was introduced to so much music culture. We are still here in Vienna, and it has been such an amazing experience. My favorite one thus far was going to the Musikverein theater where a full orchestra played pieces by Bruckner. The music was the best I have heard an orchestra play, and it fondly reminded me of the times I went to the New York Film Harmonic with my Aunt. 

    Above all, I am very glad to have met new friends on this trip who have provided nothing but laughter and good memories and are great roommates. Today my roommates Cara, Olivia, and a peer from the trip John went on an adventure to Slovakia on the train and it was an amazing experience. I am so grateful to have this opportunity!



     

Comments