Our Final Days in Madrid...

 

Quickly Coming to an End...


I can't believe how quick this semester has flown by. That is a rather common phrase expressed every semester, but truly this semester, I am shocked it is already over. Studying abroad is an opportunity and experience that we have been waiting for and preparing for months, for some even years, so to think that it will all be over in just a few days is absolutely surreal. 

This has arguably been one of the greatest, if not the single greatest, experience of my life. I have been to Spain a few times, so I knew coming here that I loved it, but that cushion of familiarity allowed me to dive a bit deeper into the culture and explore other areas of the experience more intimately. Living with a family in Spain was something that I initially feared...I'm a bit shy, I don't want to overstep, I don't want to disrupt their family routine...HOWEVER, living with the family I have been with for the past five months is undoubtedly the highlight of my time abroad. They welcomed me into their family, helped me improve my Spanish, and became an extension of my family at home.

A few weeks ago, my family visited for a few days, and my host family met my real family...my worlds seriously colliding, crazy, I know... seeing my host family and family from home really hit it off was one of the most heartwarming things I think I could have experienced. My host family will be coming to New York to visit us at some point in the near future, and I can't wait to welcome them into our lives the way they have so graciously welcomed me. 

This week we wrapped up finals, graduated from our university in Madrid, and have been filling our days with our last experiences and opportunities to make memories before we head back to New York. As much as I miss my friends and family back home, I don't think I'll ever truly be ready to leave Madrid and my family here for good. It will be a bittersweet goodbye, for sure. 

I'll be back, Madrid. See you soon, New York...

Besos <3

Comments