Italy: Traveling around Italy but living in Florence

 Hi, my name is Julia Tsesmetzis and I am studying abroad in Italy this summer with Brother Rob for a religion class we call; Saints and Catholic Imagination. We started our journey in Rome and visited as many sites as possible in such a short time including the colosseum, the Forum, the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, and more. Straight from the jump, I was enjoying every moment of being here and became beyond grateful of my decision to study abroad. I was able to get to know everyone immediately in my class and even shared unforgettable moments with Brother Rob. From there, we travelled to Assisi to see the beautiful Santa Croce while roaming around each church. Can’t forget about the Gelato! 

    Our next destination where we have the pleasure to live for a few weeks is Florence. To call this my home for a month is truly amazing. Our classroom is in the perfectly kept garden behind the convent. There is a feeling of peace and calm when we do our prayer every morning. Listening to the birds chirp, the leaves blow, sometimes even music being played out the Duomo. It all elevates this trip even more. If I were to explain this trip so far in one word it would be appreciation. I haven’t realized all the small things that I am truly appreciative for until these past few weeks. Brother Rob is an exceptional mentor and is helping all of us find the real meaning to life and give us more insight to God. 

    I didn't just get here by myself though. I was honored to be granted the John Mark scholarship to help me experience this. I was touched by John Marks story and the purpose behind the scholarship. It's truly amazing what this scholarship does for students and I will forever cherish this opportunity. 





















Comments