Madrid: Corrida de Toros

On Sunday July 12, myself and three other classmates ventured to Plaza de Toros Las Ventas to experience our first bullfight. At first, I was apprehensive about the idea of watching not one, but six bulls be slaughtered for entertainment purposes. Nevertheless, I thought that it was almost essential that I go to see the running of the bulls in Spain... after all, who knows if I would ever have this opportunity again! When we got to our seats inside, it felt surreal to be actually sitting inside a bullfighting stadium. The openness of the stadium, the bright capes, the embellished outfits, and the sound of the band playing were all absolutely captivating.

Plaza de Toros
This initial stage of the bullfight is called El Pasello, in which there is a parade of the bullfighters and their accompanying assistants. After this came the first raging bull, out onto the floor. Throughout parts of the bullfight I felt as if I couldn't watch, but at the same time I couldn't look away. The first time I witnessed the bull get stabbed made me a bit uncomfortable but I was so intrigued at the same time. Watching the crowd get onto its feet and yelling at the banderilleros, matadors and picadores while simultaneously watching the bull was quite a unique experience. While indeed bullfighting is a Spanish sport, it is hard to compare it to any part of American culture that I have experienced. 

The initial procession
The bullfighting event felt like a combination of a theater and sporting event. Only after experiencing the Corrida de Toros firsthand do I now understand just how much culture there is behind it. Needless to say, I didn't particularly enjoy the gory aspects of the fight, I still found a way to enjoy it. The skill and courage of the bullfighters also truly amazed me; after all, being alone with a 500kg bull in the blazing sun with no weapon is not for the faint hearted. These men were being cheered on by the crowd as if they were local heroes or celebrities, as if they had just made their country so proud. 

Tercio de Muerte ("The Third of Death")
To anyone who has been apprehensive about the idea of a bullfight, I would say to just go for it. While it may not be the most comfortable situation for all, it is a part of Spanish culture that is just absolutely fascinating and entertaining altogether. There's something about sitting under the Spanish sun with the crowd in that arena that just can't be explained, but rather must be felt.


"Bullfighting is the only art in which the artist is in danger of death and in which the degree of brilliance in the performance is left to the fighter's honor." - Ernest Hemingway

Comments