Galway: Let The Games Begin

Ah, the familiar scene: hoards of students in sweatpants and sweaters, messy buns on top of heads, Starbucks coffee cups in hand. Or is it so familiar? Upon closer inspection you might be surprised to find just how different going to college in a different country can be, even one so seemingly similar as NUIG (National University of Ireland at Galway). So what exactly is so different here? Let's start with the most striking differences between Galway and New York City colleges.

1) Starbucks
We all know her back in NYC. We all love her. Those twin tails that call us, the siren song of hot coffee or tea, or maybe even just the succulent croissant that she offers. Or, let's be realistic here, the alluring odor of an all too famous and beloved Pumpkin Spice Latte. Am I right? Well, here in Galway, there is one, and only one, Starbucks in the entire city. Where is that Starbucks, you may be wondering? Why, on campus, of course. However, it is shoved in the basement of the Arts and Sciences building. Wow, only one single basement Starbucks for the whole entire city of Galway, Ireland?! Yep, but have no fear, the campus (and city) has about one coffee shop or cafe for every five students, so it's similar but just that much different. Instead of a Starbucks on every corner, there's a kiosk or coffee bar that is basically the same thing. Although, I will say, to save time and money it is most certainly the cheapest to buy a take-away cup of joe or tea from the college bar (yes, you read that right, the college bar) for a single euro!

2) Registration
Now, I don't know about you guys, but I've never registered for a course using a paper registration form. But here, it seems that everyone must register at specific times, dates, and venues with a completed paper registration form! In fact, I even had to apply to one of my classes. Yep, I applied to a class. You see, there were only thirty spots available for the class, and about two hundred and thirty people who could apply to the class. Interesting, no? I've certainly never applied to a class before! But I have one more, perhaps even more astonishing fact about Irish college registration. It is a week-long process! One would think that when a college calendar is marked that classes start in the first week of September, that classes would start in the first week of September. In reality, college registration week starts the first week of September. Yup, I am about to enter "Registration Week." Now perhaps this seems so alien to me because Manhattan is rather small, or perhaps it is because everyone starts classes without a registration week, or because there is no such thing as a registration week at Manhattan? I'm not sure, but it's quite interesting.

3) College Terminology
So this is definitely not something I thought about, at all, before I left. Terminology for courses is different! I had prepared myself for terminology disconnect in the food aisle (chips=fries, pot=cup, crisps=chips) but not for school. For ease of cultural assimilation, NUIG very kindly provides its study abroad students with a conversion chart for just this issue! I will share some terms with you, as they will be terms that I will use from now on in the blog!
Module= course, class, subject
Course= subject area of concentration, field of major
Occasional Arts= study abroad student, visiting student course of study
Tutorial= small, interactive class
Seminar= small, non-interactive class
Lecture= large class held in an auditorium for hundred(s) of students at one time
Essay= a short written assignment
Extended Essay= a long written assignment, often consisting of multiple parts and necessitating research

4) College Grading
Guys. Guys. It is definitely worth noting the difference in grading between the US and Ireland (and England for that matter). In Ireland the grading runs on a slightly different scale. It goes as follows:
40% or Above = Pass/Third Class Honors
50% or Above = Second Class Honors 2.2
60% or Above = Second Class Honors 2.1
70% or Above = First Class Honors
Yeah, that's going to be a bit difficult to get used to!

So, now that I've explored the difference between schools, I am ready to begin my registration process! I have to hand in my papers on Monday between 2 and 2:30pm... sorry, let me fix that! Between 14.00-14.30pm!

Comments