Galway: the Sky Road and the Wrong Road

Well, my fellow Americans, school has officially started here in Galway, Ireland! I am happy to say, I made it to all of my classes on time... and even one quite, quite early! But before Monday is Sunday, and this past Sunday was an absolute blast!! My host family took me and a friend out to a small city in the Connemara region called Clifden (no, not like Clifton, NJ).

Clifden is a quaint city, more like a town by the look of it. It has a super market, many pubs and restaurants and a few picturesque B&Bs. However, the true beauty of Clifden lies with its famous Sky Road. The Sky Road is not much when looking at it from the beginning, in fact, it looks like a traitorous one lane dirt road leading to no where. But let me tell you, after driving about ten minutes uphill, you can find some of the most beautiful and peaceful vistas in all of Ireland. It is a land of farming and oceanic bliss. Farms with no fences, just land with a shear drop to the ocean. It truly is as green as an emerald, and we all know the famous adage "the Emerald Isle."
View from Sky Road Vista Point
 
 As my friend and  I stood and looked around, we marveled at how we were looking straight at the direction of home. What a thought. We were absolutely floored. The difference in landscape that an ocean can make. When looking from our viewing platform on the Sky Road, the world seemed absolutely boundless.

Returning from the Sky Road one sees a small, absolutely frightening driveway. Frightening, you may wonder? How so, you might ask? It is a turn that is about as tight as if a road was folded in half and stayed just like that. A turn that is practically a u-turn! It is the driveway for the absolutely stunning Abbeyglen Castle Hotel.
Abbeyglen Castle Hotel
This fabulous castle is home to two helicopter pads, a three tiered fountain, clay tennis courts and even hiking trails for those who want to work up a backache before winding down at the hotel spa. It is in its original glory, even sporting a throne for guests!

 Yes, Sunday was an unforgettable day! But alas, not all roads are so cheerful and easily walked, are they? No, no they are not. Like I said before, today was the first day of real classes, and while I was able to get to all of my classes, I wasn't quite able to nail down all the correct information for them. I signed up for a course that I was sure started today at 4pm in a lecture hall called O'Flaherty Theatre. Well. I did in fact sign up for it, it was in fact in O'Flaherty Theatre. However, it was not at 4pm, it was at 3pm. And it was not today, it is tomorrow! Needless to say, when I showed up late to an Economics course, I and the Professor were very confused! Well, I do hope that tomorrow goes a wee bit better! Fingers crossed!

Comments