Ghana: Introduction

I am having difficulty fathoming that we are already back home!  The past two weeks flew by faster than I can comprehend, but traveling with Manhattan College to study abroad in Ghana was easily one of the greatest decisions I have made in my life.  Our days were packed morning to evening with activities and as my co-travelers know, I was using every ounce of free time to try and journal about all activities we did, sites we visited, and conversations we had.  Now that I have time to reflect on this AMAZING trip, I can share our daily stories about West Africa through this blog!

First, a big thank you is in order to Dr. Jawanza Eric Clark for spearheading Manhattan College's first study abroad program to Africa.  There were in total 6 students who traveled to Ghana and we all could not speak enough about how lucky we felt to be on this monumental trip.  Dr. Clark coordinated this entire program based off of a conversation at a conference in South Africa with Dr. Opoku (who we met on this trip).  This was the first time Dr. Clark had been back to Ghana in 10 years when he was doing his dissertation on African Theology at the University of Ghana.  

Another thank you to Michael Williams, the executive director of the Aya Centre who helped to organize our itinerary and program in Ghana.  One last thank you to our program coordinator from the Aya Centre, Maxwell Agbagba!  He was with us all day, everyday and this trip would have been no where near the same without him.

I hope this will help people understand more about the Ghanaian culture, and dismiss some stereotypes or misconceptions about the country, and the continent.  I feel so grateful to have experienced Africa, and can definitely see myself traveling there again! Thank you again to everyone that made this possible!
- Sarah Caruso

Kwame Nkrumah Mausoleum and Memorial Park on June 11, 2016.
(Ghana's first president, the mausoleum is located in Downtown Accra)

Comments