Bahamas: Scouting for Dolphins

8-18-16


This trip, in my honest opinion, has been one of the greatest experiences of my life so far. On this wonderful study abroad experience, we have class about 2-3 times a day and then spend 4-5 hours out on a boat in search of the native dolphins.

On our very first day of searching for dolphins, we found a pod of 18 individuals. About two thirds of us were able to get into the water and experience these REAL, WILD dolphins. It didn't look like many from the boat, but as soon as I got in with my snorkel, I was amazed by the number of spotted dolphins I witnessed. I counted them all several times due to how awe struck I was by the turn out. Then as soon as I finished counting, one rushed by me, an arms length away from my face. Startled, I tried to swim backwards, forgot how to breath and swallowed a large some of salt water. Even so, I coughed it all up and continued taking notes of their composition and behavior in the little time I had with my underwater pad. But this was only the first day of our outings.

On the second day we didn't think we were going to spot anything, but near the end of our venture, three calves appeared and swam around our boat. No one was able to get into the water and see them, but it was glamorous to get a glimpse of them swimming along side our boat, playful and curious as children are.

For the past two days, we haven't actually spotted any dolphins from our ventures out on the boat, but what field work doesn't have bad days? Although, we have seen some flying fish, spotted eagle rays, a shark and many colorful fish along the reefs. I honestly am happy with my current memories of the first day, but I wouldn't be disappointed if we found more dolphin in the last week of our field work.

Aside from the dolphin spotting, I've been able to learn so much about the island of Bimini through lectures and exploration. For instance, the mangroves of the island are being chopped away for hotels and golf courses, while other nations are replanting them for land erosion protection, their large carbon intake and their use as protection from young fish from predators. I haven't seen any yet, but I'm hoping to see them later on this week. I've also found various fishes around the island and that you can use the word fishes if you're describing multiple species of fish. I'm hoping to get more exploration done, starting with the island's well known "Dolphin House".
So far so good, and it's only been five days of our twelve day adventure. I just kind of, really hope that we spot more dolphins!
























Your friendly Bohemian Tourist,
Taylor

Comments