Ici c'est Paris!

It was the renowned French poet Victor Hugo who once said, “ To study in Paris is to born in Paris!” He could be more right.  After being here for about a month I certainly feel I am reborn in this city. Being in an environment where there are many more francophone Africans, northern African Arabs, and other native French speakers has been like a breath of fresh air and it has truly enabled me to reconnect with my Malian/ francophone side. 
Visiting the Eiffel Tour with Malian Students 
My experience here thus far has been enriching. I have made a great group of friends here who all come very diverse backgrounds. The first people I met here were the other American exchange students. I think being in a new city and country all together as well as being the only English speakers each other knows, is a common experience that has naturally brought us together. Our exchange program, the MICEFA, has also done a tremendous job creating a culture of togetherness through their orientation and cultural adaptation courses. Furthermore, I have also connected with a group of young Malian students who have been very hospitable towards me. They have made my transition here a lot smoother by showing me cheap local restaurants, historic sites, and libraries, among other places.




The main reason for my being in Paris, however, is academics, so let us talk about that. I am currently enrolled at Université Paris 1 Panthéon Sorbonne, which is quite a prestigious school here in France.  Every time I mention to a Parisian that I attend Paris 1 they look at me as if to say good luck, because the workload is apparently burdensome. Although it has merely been two weeks since school started, I feel as though I am handling the change in ambiance from Manhattan College to the Sorbonne, from an American university to a French one, quite well. 


Université Paris 1 Panthéon Sorbonne
The courses I am taking at Paris 1 are Economie du travail (Labor Economics), Histoire de l’Afrique Noire (The History of “Black” Africa), and Grands Problèmes Economiques (Major Economic Problems). The Sorbonne is a school of approximately 40,000 thousand students. Thus, as you can imagine, it is a huge change from the small class setting at Manhattan College. Here, The professor merely comes to give his or her lecture for about an hour or two then leaves. It is quite difficult to get to know your professor and have a one on one relationship in my schools. Hence, there is more of an emphasis on working on your own and paying close attention to lectures. One of the main things I have brought with me from Manhattan College is that in order to enjoy your time at a university you must fully immerse yourself in the culture of the school. Having said that, I decided to join the Model UN and International Students club in order to meet new people and also to help me adapt faster to life Paris. Moreover, I am simultaneously taking a course on French Academic writing through the MICEFA and another course on Human Rights in Practice at Amnesty International. I am of the mindset that the course I am taking here will challenge me and also enhance my understanding of international relations, and in particular the experiences of minority groups.



At the Arc de Triomphe
Visiting the Louvre Museum 
During my free time here I enjoy simply visiting and discovering Paris. I have had the chance visit places such as the Eiffel Tour, L’Arc de Triomphe, and the Louvre Museum just to name a few. Yet out of all those experiences the one that marked me the most was seeing Syrian refugees on the streets of Paris. In America we often speak of the Syrian refugee crisis as a distant problem. Well here in France, and moreover in Europe, it is a problem that very much real and that can be seen just by walking in the streets of major cities. I try to give the refugees some change whenever I see them but then I realized just how many of them there are all over Paris. It can make you feel hopeless at times. But, when I see organizations such as Amnesty International fighting the French government to ensure that the refugees' rights to adequate housing, health, and security are protected, it gives me hope that their situation can improve. 
All in all, my time here has been wonderful up to now. It has open my eyes to a whole new world that I was not familiar with, but I am confident that I will come of this experience a better student and citizen.






Comments

  1. Mahamoud's Study Abroad term seems to be quite challenging, interesting, and exciting. Becoming immersed in the Sorbonne culture, experiencing Parisian life, and witnessing the Syrian refugee situation while studying economics certainly is an "Adventure with Service." We wish you success (and hope you have some fun) during this exchange. Keep us all posted on your experiences.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment