London: First Week at King's College London

Westminster, London, UK
Hi,

For those who don't know me, I'm Ali. I'm a sophomore at Manhattan College and I am studying abroad this semester at King's College London in London, UK. 

I just finished my first week of classes at KCL and I absolutely love everything about London and my university already! What I love about being here is the fact anywhere I go, every corner I turn, there is always something new to discover. Whether it be learning about a topic from a different perspective in one of my modules or making a friend from a foreign country, I feel my understanding of the world I live has already begun to be wonderfully broadened. At KCL, I'm exploring my major in a way I haven't before, as well as immersing myself in an international community unknown to me. While it may seem intimidating at times to live in another country all by myself, I wouldn't change this experience for the world. I'm excited for the challenge and open to the opportunity!

Big Ben and the London Eye from Waterloo Bridge
KCL has five campuses. I'm taking classes at KCL's Strand campus, which is located on the north bank of the River Thames. Since my housing is right across the street from Waterloo Station, I only have a 15-minute walk to campus with a wonderful view of Big Ben and the London Eye when I cross Waterloo Bridge on my way to class. 

At KCL, I'm taking four modules: Contemporary Global Novels, The Film Of the Play, Lyric And The Inner Life: Poetry And Selfhood In The Romantic Era, and Management for the Digital Domain I. I absolutely love my modules, especially my module in Digital Humanities, which explores my major from a managerial perspective. Regarding my English modules, I find The Film Of the Play to be especially interesting as the module explores the similarities and differences between a play, such as Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus, and it's modern cinematic adaption. 

Swans in Hyde Park
When I think about my study abroad experience, I think about an international experience that introduces me to different cultures, people, and opportunities. I've enjoyed my first week at KCL, being part of KCL's diverse student body, and acquiring academic experiences unlike I've ever known before. Now that I'm settled in my housing and at KCL, I look forward to truly exploring all London has to offer. Whether it be a trip to Shakespeare's Globe, Oxford, or enjoying more of London's parks, I'm thrilled to be on this journey and look forward to my next destination.

Until next time,
Ali


Comments

  1. Best wishes to you on your Study Abroad adventure. We are looking forward to reading future posts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment