Discover the World: Spain II

Real Alcazar de Sevilla
Hi everyone! I’m Melissa and through Manhattan College and St. John’s University, I’ve studied abroad in Rome and Seville and now in my last rotation in Paris! In Seville, I absolutely loved the classes. They were my favorite thus far. I took Introduction to Islam and Monuments of World Architecture.

In Islam, my professor wanted each student to create a 10-minute power point presentation on any subject related to Islam. While I am a Communication major and Religious Studies minor, I decided that my presentation would be Islam in American Media Post-9/11. I discussed a brief history of the difference between Sunni and Shia Muslims and how the 1400-year old conflict between them plays a role today. I focused heavily on the Arab Spring and how the series of uprisings and demonstrations lead to the present day Syrian War and middle-eastern conflicts. Afterwards, I talked about the framing and agenda setting of American Media after 9/11. My professor applauded me on my extensive research and interest in the subject. I was extremely proud of myself for knowing the very basics of international relations with the middle-east to teaching myself all about it. Now, I can’t wait to continue my religious studies at Manhattan College by taking Muslims in America next fall.

Real Alcazar de Sevilla
There is so much rich history in southern Spain, especially in Seville and Granada toward the Islamic empire. In World Architecture, my professor wanted us to create a photography portfolio about migration in Seville. I decided to focus my project on the hybridization of Islamic and Christian architecture in the Real Alcazar de Sevilla. We had to make sure we had a technique that was expressed throughout the series of photos and I focused mine on arches. I loved how in the Alcazar you can specifically see Arabic scripture written on the walls and the Christian lion along with Roman arches. You can see that through all the kings throughout Spaniard history, they preserved and added to the glorious palace.
Real Alcazar de Sevilla 

While studying abroad, I’ve focused my studies heavily on religion and theology. Similarly, to the hybridization to Islamic and Christian architecture, I want to combine my passion for Communications and Religious Studies in a career post-graduation. Reflecting on my previous service and studies in Seville made me realize how much I want to continue service after graduation. I love learning and serving and I can’t wait to see what’s next in my time in Paris. Adventure is out there!



Service in Seville

Comments

  1. We hope your adventure in Paris keeps pace with the events to date. Your focus on the arches as a centerpiece to explain / study the hybridization of the Islamic and Christian is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Study architecture in italy
    www.maitriglobaleducation.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment