Munich; An Experience Like No Other

December 30th, 2019 was a day we spent as a class at two extremely different locations. We started the day at Michaelskirche (St. Michael's Cathedral) in the heart of the city of Munich. As part of the class we were instructed to listen to two different pieces of liturgical music on our headphones as we took in the beauty and holy feelings of the cathedral. And oh boy did I, this cathedral made me awe struck, something I could not believe and when the music was being played and all the tourist's voices faded away the feeling inside this cathedral was unbelievable. This feeling I can only explain as feeling like I was right there with God and it was truly enlightening. This feeling I have felt one other time in a very different scenario. My first time attending a mass at Manhattan College was a very unique time for me. The many issues I had going on at home and with my parents were all summarized in the homily that day. In that homily stated that a man gave one of the largest donations to the church they have ever received and a woman gave two pennies, but these were the only two pennies the woman owned. What was incredible about this was that the woman who gave two pennies was more giving because unlike the man who had plenty to spare, this woman gave everything to help someone else, the most selfless act you can perform. So my feeling in the cathedral in Munich were heightened by that mass two years ago at Manhattan College. This was also a reminder of how grateful I am towards the people who give to others so people like me can experience a trip like this.
Immediately from St. Michaels we were headed to the most opposite type of location in the outskirts of Munich. A location I was eager to learning more about and to see in first person after hearing my whole life about them. Dachau Concentration Camp, the first camp established in 1933. A name that made people of world cringe when they heard it and of the horrors that went on here. The irony from going to St. Michaels and then immediately getting on the train to go to Dachau made the experience just that much more overwhelming.
Upon entering the camp there were a couple things that really grabbed my attention. First was the plaque dedicated to the 20th Armored Division US 7th Army, and the reason it stuck out to me so much was because this was living proof of what the Nazi regime did and this is strictly what the United States does NOT tolerate. Anyone who is in or is close with someone in a military position understands that the men and women of the United States who fight for our country, serve so that we can be free and to NEVER tolerate something like this to happen to anyone again.
One other thing that stood out to me right when I was entering was the gate we were passing through. This gate said "Arbeit Mach Frei" which translates to "work sets you free." As many of us know almost nobody was set free from a concentration camp. So reading this was a tease for anyone coming into the camp, thinking that there may just be a way to survive and be let go, but as we know millions of people never made it out alive. Lastly, in order for myself to enter the camp, I had to pass through this same gate as the many other millions have, which was eerie and heartbreaking to do.

Overall this trip was more than I could have asked for. When my friends back home asked me how it was and if I had fun my response lately has been "It did not happen it was all a dream."(Because it truly felt like a dream) The class was my favorite religion class I have taken in my life so far. It was so nice to learn about a totally different part of catholic mass that I feel many people never actually learn. Also experiencing the history and culture of Germany and Austria was incredible. I seriously cannot describe what an amazing experience this was far me and I couldn't be more thankful for all those who encouraged and helped me to be able to do this.



 Berlin Cathedral, Berlin

 Neuschwanstein Castle, Bavaria

Silent Night Chapel, Salzburg

 East Side Gallery, Berlin

 East Side Gallery, Berlin

 Hofburg Imperial Palace, Vienna 


 Checkpoint Charlie, Berlin

 Checkpoint Charlie, Berlin

 Brandenburg Gate, Berlin

Comments

  1. Thanks for keeping us posted on your experiences in Germany and Austria. Quite a fantastic adventure.... from religious sites and discussion to visiting and experiencing Dachau. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment