Spring 2020 blog contest: Tabitha Yuqui, Madrid (Runner-Up)

Ever since I came to Manhattan I knew that I wanted to study abroad for a semester. I carefully planned my courses so that during my second year I would be able to go abroad for a full semester. No one knew what was going to happen and, even though my journey ended almost 2 months early, I left Madrid having experienced a lot.

On Tuesday March 10th we were told to come into our classroom for a meeting. At this point our University in Madrid planned on closing for 2 weeks and we all felt what was coming. As our amazing program directors Rocio and Ricardo came into the room, we could see the looks on their faces and we immediately knew. It was time for us to go home. All 17 of us from Manhattan were heartbroken. This was a dream for us and the fact that we were going to go home early was devastating. We all went back to our residence hall still in shock but starting to pack. The next day, Rocio and Ricardo coordinated with our Residence hall to have a “going away party”. The staff from Funway, our professor, and program directors were all there and even though we were all sad it was more of a celebration. Even though our time in Madrid was cut short, we all sat there reminiscing about the good times in Madrid. We had amazing tapas made for us and a cake made for us. We took one last group photo with everyone and just like that our time in Madrid was over.



Author: Tabitha Yuqui
Program: Manhattan College in Madrid, Spring 2020 semester

Comments