Morgan in Madrid: The First Days


     Upon landing the 7 hour flight from JFK to Madrid, I was exhausted yet powered by my excitement to explore a foreign country. I was in a new place, seeing new people, becoming acquainted with a new language.  It was perhaps that same excitement that allowed me to leave my phone on the airplane. Once I had realized my mistake, I had already exited the shuttle to the baggage claim. The help desk told us the devastating news after 30 minutes: my phone was not found. Despite how welcoming Rocio and Antonio were upon first meeting, I was blinded with worry about not having a phone. 

  Puerta Del Sol

  However, I found that with my few days without a phone, I was more attentive and aware of my surroundings than ever before. My two friends and I visited Puerto Del Sol on the very first day. Because I had no phone, I was focused on everything else around me rather than the phone in my hand. The heart of the city was beautiful, dotted with huge department stores adorned with beautiful lights and old style, European buildings. Luckily, on the second day, I was able to purchase a phone at the Apple Store and acquire a sim card. My relief was an understatement.

    On Saturday, a tour was organized by Antonio of old Madrid as well as the sprawling Spanish palace with beautiful architecture. Antonio described that much of the buildings inspiration was taken from the Neoclassical, Baroque, and the Arabic influences. Later, he bought us drinks at an outdoor restaurant, and I was able to mingle with the other students on the tour. In the next few days, classes began, and I was soon wrapped up in my class schedule. That did not mean that I was not able to try some staple Spanish dishes like paella and croquetas. To say that they were tasty is an understatement. 

Croquetas de Jamon

    On a side note, this may seem stupid to include, but I am absolutely amazed by the way people from Spain eat. Bread, croissants, and carb based meals are so common. Breakfast includes usually a chocolate croissant and some tea or coffee. Dinner is served late at night around 9pm. Ham or "Jamon" is served with nearly every meal-- chicken being rare to find in stores and restaurants. One would think that these eating habits would make one gain weight. However, I have been actually been losing weight! The way the Spanish produce and grow their food is so natural compared to the United States. I am no longer bloated, which makes me want to have a word with the food scientists of the United States. Not only is the food just healthier, it is absolutely delicious! Some of the best meals I have ever had have been easily the ones in Spain.

    I have only been in Spain for a week, and I can already see my language skills improving. I feel right at home already, the resort we are staying at super accommodating. The rooms have beds that hover from the ceiling to the floor with a touch of a button! My family was amazed when I demonstrated it on video. I am excited to see what else is in store for me here.

 Until next time.

--Morgan Kasabri

Comments