Rome: From Historic City Streets to Quiet Mountain Trails

From Historic City Streets to Quiet Mountain Trails

2022 Winter Intercession Study Abroad in Rome

Maura McCarthy, Class of 2023

Ciao from Italy!

Despite having departed the United States well over a week ago, I can still hardly believe I’m in the Eternal City,  standing upon the same ground that gladiators, popes, and famous artists have walked in past millennia. The course I’m taking while abroad combines both religion and anthropology, and there is no better place than Rome to study how human behavior, Christianity, and the meaning of the human experience have changed throughout our history.

Although I am majoring in Management and Economics at Manhattan College, I have always had a great love and appreciation for the humanities. Studying religion, art, literature, and history has played a huge role in shaping the way that I see the world, and having the opportunity to see some of my favorite paintings, sculptures, and historical sites in person has been completely surreal. I cannot even count the number of experiences that have blown my mind since I arrived in Italy: throwing coins in the Trevi fountain, examining the ancient architecture of the Pantheon, trying my best to soak in every detail of Raphael’s School of Athens in the Vatican Museum, standing mere feet away from Pope Francis during the papal audience, leaning backward in the Sistine Chapel to get a better view Michelangelo’s Creation of Adam, climbing the crumbling stairs to the top of the Colosseum, standing on a path in the Forum that is thousands of years older than any monument in the United States… Everywhere I look, there is an unparalleled opportunity to witness the parts of the world and our unique human story that  I thought I’d only ever see online.

Through the connections of our professor Father Tom, my classmates and I had the privilege to travel outside of the city limits to Assisi, which is about a two-hour drive from the center of Rome. Despite going to school in New York City, I always loved spending time in the countryside, and our mini-trip within our study abroad program allowed me to see a rural area in another part of the world. As we traveled away from Rome, the historical buildings were quickly replaced by olive groves, vineyards, sheep pastures, and mountains, and I couldn’t help but stare out the window during the entire bus ride.

Just before we arrived in Assisi, we stopped at the Basilica di Santa Maria delgi Angeli (Basilica of Saint Mary of the Angels). After a week of touring churches, I feel very qualified to say that this church is breathtaking. The main hall of the Church is simply decorated to help worshippers stay focused during masses, but the side chapels are beautifully adorned with murals and sculptures depicting scenes from the Bible. In the center of the Church stands a small, centuries-old chapel built by St. Francis. The space feels incredibly holy. Outside of the basilica, we were able to tour the Franciscan's original living quarters and other artifacts preserved from the Middle Ages.


My classmates and I were lucky enough to be in Assisi on the night of the Epiphany, which marks the end of the Christmas season. It is a much larger celebration in Italy than in the United States. The main street of the town, which runs between the Basilicas of St. Francis and St. Claire on either end of the town, was beautifully decorated with twinkling lights and art displays. Christmas music rang out from speakers while locals and visitors drank wine outside of restaurants despite the cold weather. Each store that we passed had nativity scenes and San Domiano crosses on display, showing just how important religion is in Assisi’s culture.




The next morning, we walked to San Domiano, which was a sacred site for St. Francis and served as a convent for St. Claire and her order of sisters. Located in the middle of an olive grove, San Domiano houses the original San Domiano cross and offers a beautiful view of the mountains and valleys surrounding Assisi. 



In the afternoon, we first toured the Basilica of Saint Claire before traveling across town to the Basilica of San Francesco d’Assisi. Although very well-preserved, the crumbling and faded images of the biblical stories and saints that covered the walls and ceilings forced me to recall just how many years had passed since the two basilicas were built into the hills of Assisi. 

It was so moving to consider how many generations of Catholics had stared at the same paintings that I was looking at. The artwork in both churches was extremely detailed, graphic, and mysterious, and I can hardly imagine what it looked like when the work was first completed. Before education was widespread, the art in these churches allowed illiterate worshippers to interpret and understand the Bible. These basilicas helped me realize how useful art is in helping us comprehend complex concepts. Photography was not allowed inside the churches so I can’t share the artwork, but it was truly incredible to see how the artists told stories and preserved history in their work. 



It was such a great experience to leave Rome for a few days to see how culture and history vary in different parts of Italy, and I am so glad that I had the opportunity to explore the sacred sites of Assisi.



Of course, it would be very remiss of me to not provide you with a food update! While I love the history in Italy, the pasta dishes, pastries, pizzas, cheeses, wines, cured meats, gelatos, and cappuccinos are what will be most difficult to leave behind when I return to Manhattan. Some of my favorites are pictured below.

Learning about different cultures and ways of life is essential to becoming a global citizen, and I’m so lucky to be able to explore thousands of years of religion, art, and human history while abroad. This study abroad program has already begun to change the way I see the world around me, and I can’t wait to continue to share all that I’ve learned with the Manhattan College community. Many thanks to the Major John H. Mark ’00, Jr. Scholarship for supporting my journey and for providing me with an invaluable opportunity to immerse myself in the culture of another part of the world. I am so grateful and honored to represent John’s spirit of adventure while in Rome.

I am so excited for all the wonderful things in store for the next few days. Thanks for reading!




Comments

  1. Fantastic experiences. Culture, education, and FOOD :) :) We are so pleased that you are continuing John's love of adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for giving us such useful information on education loans education loan interest rate in india

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment