Madrid, Spain: February Blog by Esperanza Martínez

February in Spain 

    A lot has happened this month, all good things thankfully. At the beginning of the month we went to the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia which is a famous museum. This month we also started our Reunidas classes with a group of students from all over the USA. Also, later on this month I was blessed with the opportunity to travel to Andalucía with my friends and classmates. The different cities in Andalucía that we traveled to were Córdoba, Granada, and Sevilla. It was truly an amazing experience and if you keep reading I'll tell you all about it!

    About the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia, I have already mentioned that it's a famous museum in Madrid but what I didn't mention is why it's so popular. The reason is because it contains one of Picasso's most extraordinary pieces: the Guernica. It is a grandiose piece of art that is quite abstract but also sad when understanding the story behind the art work. This museum also contains other works from other famous artists like Salvador Dalí. 

    Starting our Reunidas classes was a bit hectic at first and took some getting used to but has been a pleasant experience so far. It was hectic because I had already gotten used to my previous routine that I had been following for the past month but then suddenly had to get accustomed to having classes on Fridays. The professors are very nice and the classes are really interesting. I am only taking two Reunidas classes which are Literature and Religion (both fully taught in Spanish). I find that over time I am struggling less with my Spanish (yes, I am fluent but sometimes I struggle to find the right words to express myself and I'm trying more now to not rely on Spanglish for communication) and I believe this is because I am reading and thinking more in Spanish than I'm typically used to. 

    I have to say that the most exciting part of this month as well as the entirety of my time here in Spain so far would have to be the trip to Andalucía that I went on. The classes that I had everyday for the first month were with Sewanee students (from a small state school in Tennessee) and for this trip, we got to travel with them. I thought this was really great because we've all become great friends so it was really fun getting the chance to share this experience with them. 

    First up in our trip to Andalucía was going to Córdoba which I thought was beautiful. Our first night in Córdoba we ate dinner at a restaurant that had a "tablao flamenco" (which means a flamenco performance) - it was beautiful and the food was great! The next morning we went to La Mezquita which was really impressive because of the arabian artwork details. Later that day we went to Alcázar de los Reyes Cristianos which was really pretty - I loved seeing all the fountains and nature. One thing that was so interesting to me about Córdoba was seeing all the orange trees (naranjos in Spanish). 

    The second place in Andalucía that we went to was Granada (my favorite). I was starstruck the second I saw La Alhambra - it was an amazing sight to see it lit up at night from afar but I didn't think it could get any better. The next day we went to the Alhambra and seeing it up close was even better. I was shocked by it's grand castle-like appearance (from afar it seemed so small but being actually there was surreal). I couldn't believe my eyes because the detailing of every structure was so precise and there were so many unique designs. It was just so beautiful that I was left speechless. Not only was the palace part of La Alhambra beautiful but also Los Jardines (the gardens) which contained lots of flowers, some more orange trees, lots of fountains, and beautiful stone pathways. I fell in love with Granada's Alhambra which is why Granada was my favorite place of all (of Andalucía that I've gotten the chance to visit). 

    The third and last place we visited in Andalucía was Sevilla which was very pretty in its own way (it seemed more colonial but in a good way). In Sevilla we went to the Real Alcázar which was amazing as well. I loved the Real Alcázar because of its beautiful gardens (also lots of orange trees, flowers, fountains, etc.) and mosaic decorations. It was a beautiful day in Sevilla which made it an even greater experience. Later that day we went to the Catedral de Sevilla (Cathedral of Sevilla) which was also beautiful. We walked up 35 flights to the top by the bell tower (which was not very comfortable to do in boots but it was worth it because of the amazing views and the beautiful sound of the bells). We weren't in Sevilla for very long but it was beautiful nonetheless.  

    Overall I'd say I had a pretty great month! I not only enjoyed my trip to Andalucía, I loved it. I would've liked the to get the chance to stay longer in each city of Andalucia but I'm forever grateful for this trip! I'm definitely looking forward to the rest of my study abroad experience here in Spain. I'm so glad that I have this opportunity and that I'm able to share it with great friends!


La Mezquita - Córdoba

Jardines del Alcázar - Córdoba

Jardines del Alcázar - Córdoba

Mirador de la Alhambra - Granada

Patio de los Leones, Alhambra - Granada

La Alhambra - Granada

El jardín del laberinto, Real Alcázar - Sevilla

Real Alcázar - Sevilla 

Catedral de Sevilla

Catedral de Sevilla


Comments