The beginning of a new experience in Madrid by Melanie Lahura


Melanie Lahura 

Vlog # 1


Traveling to Spain was a thrilling experience, if also a bit anxious. At the airport, where it seemed I was saying goodbye to my family yet again, I could not hold it together leaving my 7-month-old sister. Last semester, I would go home regularly to spend time with her and tell her all my stories. It was sad to leave her, but I know this experience will give me more stories to share with her. If she wants to study abroad someday, I can help guide her.

Once I was on the plane, the sadness faded and the thrill of travel took over. I barely slept on our overnight flight. Arriving in Madrid–Barajas Airport gave me a flashback to when I was 12 and flew by myself from Peru to New York to meet my parents. The emotions, the feeling of not knowing what to expect were building anxiety. However, with two great classmates (Morgan and Esperanza) traveling with me, I had more confidence and decided to stop worrying.

A few minutes after arrival, Morgan realized her phone was missing. She tried returning to check the plane without success. We decided to split up. Espe would go with Morgan to security and I would be in charge of picking up our suitcases. It was a bit complicated since there was no way of communicating with them. When the girls came back, they did not look happy. I didn’t even ask. Morgan was going to need a new phone.

We left the airport to find Rocio and Antonio, our program coordinators, who would take great care of us and help us settle in. I could not stop smiling in the taxi. It was a lovely day. Everything was so pretty and organized. One thing about Spain that is so different from New York City is how no one is jaywalking. Almost 3 weeks here and no sign of a jaywalker.

My first outing in Spain was to El Sol where we learned that if you want to make big purchases (like a phone) one needs their passport. El Sol is like Times Square. There are people dressed as Disney and Marvel characters. At night, it is common to see traditional Spanish dancing in the plaza there. With all the shops, El Sol is very touristy. Like New York, there are so many people from different countries.

Rocio, the woman caring for us here in Spain, showed us around the enormous campus at Complutense, our school here in Madrid. After our first day of classes, Professor Antonio took us on our first cultural excursion in Madrid, walking around the Plaza De Oriente with the architecture of the Royal Palace and Royal Theatre. Antonio explained ceremonial and political affairs. King Alfonso XIII was the last King to live in the Royal Palace. We also visited Museo Arqueologico, where one of my favorite sculptures is La Dama de Elche, discovered on the grounds of La Alcudia (Elche) and is a divinity of the Iberian culture.

Museo del Prado was not only beautiful from the inside, but also from the outside. Inside they have the most beautiful and expensive Spanish paintings. Outside, we can appreciate el Paseo del Prado, which will be more enjoyable in the spring. 

Apart from all these sensational museums, I am loving the Spanish way of life. As a New Yorker, I particularly appreciate how clean they keep their metro (subways). The metro closes at 1:30 am and opens up again at 6:00 am, which is why you don’t see many people in the streets at night. The sky is so clear. I can walk at night and just find myself very relaxed. I am looking forward to classes and all the exciting things to come this semester. 


   




         



           


                           

 

Comments