Morgan in Madrid: Three Months In

 

Three Months In

    It has officially been three months into my stay in Spain, and I can hardly believe it. This semester has been the fastest semester of my life timewise. I never want my study abroad to end, but I already feel it creeping up. I already feel like I know the city center of El Sol as if I am a local already.


    Recently, I was partnered with another Spanish student as a part of the Intercambio Program. That means I now have two students from the school helping improve my Spanish, showing me their favorite spots, and enlightening me about the Spanish culture. His name is Pablo, and I have already met with him few times. The second time I met his friends, and they were incredibly nice despite the language barrier. There were a few instances where I definitely said words wrong, and they gave me a confused look. We laughed it off though, and we kept practicing. 


    This passed weekend, I planned a trip to Salamanca with some friends. It was a beautiful city, and it reminded me a lot of Madrid. Like Madrid, Salamanca had their very own Plaza Mayor. There was a fat lady statue around the city center that we snapped photos with. My friends and I met up with some other students, two from Portugal and one from China. They were all study abroad students like us, and we had to so much fun exploring the ancient city. We stopped and had tapas and a few places. My favorite part of Salamanca was definitely the museum called. It was filled with old house decorations from the 1930s-40s. It felt like I was walking through my grandma's house-- if she used to own a museum. There was one room full of glass dolls, which I was very creeped out by. Never-the-less, the museum was filled with vibrant colored windows, old lamps, and small figurines. I left it feeling revigorated and excited for the rest of the day. Later, we climbed church towers in order to see the view. There are huge storks that nest at the tops of these towers, and my friend got pooped on when we were walking up the tower! It was funny, but I hid my laughter and found her some tissues. I heard getting pooped on by a bird is actually good luck-- but I don't think she felt very lucky.


    Next week, I have a trip to Ibiza and a few weeks after that-- Italy. I am beyond excited to where my travels will take me. I am interested in traveling to Vienna because of the song by Billy Joel. The lyrics to the song open with "slow down, you crazy child; you're so ambitious for a juvenile," which is very comforting since I relate to those lyrics a lot. It's my favorite song since childhood-- I guess you could say "Vienna waits for me." 

Until next time.

--Morgan



Comments