Morgan's Weekend in Italy

 



Morgan's Weekend in Italy

About a week ago, I travelled to Rome and Pisa with my friends from Complutense. We rented an Airbnb right in Vatican City. Did you know that Vatican City is considered its very own country? Apparently, it's the smallest county in the world.

On the first day, we explored the Vatican. There were several museums within the Vatican, making it take us hours to get through all the astounding art pieces.  The Sistine Chapel was jaw-dropping, my friend and I ended up staying in the room, staring up at the beautiful ceiling for 40 minutes. There was no photography allowed.


Then, we arrived at St. Peter's Basilica-- it was breathtaking with the statues on every column and the massive fountains carved down to its fine detail. I stopped to stare for many minutes before I got on line to enter the church. Did you also know that St. Peter's Basilica is also the biggest church in the world? Inside, it was magnificent, the ceilings were high and endless and the art itself looked like something out of a museum. 

Later, we found a cute Italian restaurant to eat. I ordered lasagna and shared a pizza with one of my friends. The food was out of this world. I live in New York, where pizza is unmatched anywhere else in the United States. Well, Italian food, pizza from Italy, it's birthplace-- now, that is the place to beat. I could have eaten 50 plates of pizza and lasagna and pizza combined. It was a wonder how the locals were not obese. 

The next day, we ventured into the Colosseum. We scheduled a 3 hour tour to go through the Roman Forum and the Colosseum. The tour guide was full of energy, engaging everyone on the tour the entire time. The only downside was that it was freezing out, and I decided that day to wear a dress. When we were approaching the third hour of the tour, my knuckles were turning blue. Thankfully, we found a place to eat and were able to breathe back some warm life into our dead cold bodies. That was short-lived, however, as our ambitious selves decided to go the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain. Little did we know that hail was on the forecast. We ran, our umbrellas blowing up in the wind, as hail pelted our backs. We hid in souvenir shops for shelter, and found a train to take to get to our destination. Even with the bad weather, we were able to see the Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain. Let's just say it was worth the hail.


Our time in Pisa was less hectic; it was a much needed reprieve from the busy streets of Rome. The food did not disappoint and neither did the weather. When I bought a pizza pie, I could not stop saying "a piece of pizza in Pisa." We took the stereotypical photos at the Leaning Tower of Pisa and walked around the town. We even decided to buy scooters and rode around, stopping to buy some gelato.

All in all, the trip was amazing, and I hope that was not all Italy has seen of me! Next destination is Paris.

--Until Next time.

Morgan



Comments