Morgan In Madrid: The Final Month




The Final Month

There is only one month left for me here, and I can scarcely believe it. Originally, I was set to depart from Madrid back to New York on May 7. However, I decided to extend my stay until May 31. This way, I can finish out my program that ends on May 20, and spend a week after solely dedicated to travel. I am set to leave for Fez, Morocco in 2 weeks time, and I am beyond excited. 

During Semana Santa, my classmates and I travelled to Paris for two days. It was stunning there. I visited  L'Arc de Triomphe, the Eiffel Tower, and the Louvre. The Eiffel Tower was breathtaking, and I remember standing in front of it, saying aloud, "This is not real, right? This is a dream?" We walked there at night and took a boat tour around the Seine River. The Eiffel Tower even lit up in flashing colors in what looked like fairy lights. 

The next week, we travelled throughout Italy. We went to Lucca, Pisa, Florence, Venice, and Lake Como. If I were to travel through Italy again, I would definitely not cram in so many places in one trip. If anything, 2-3 places is fully enough. Because we had to ride a train every other day, it was very stressful running on trains, being on time, checking out, finding our Airbnb's. I really overestimated myself because, for some reason, I believe that I can do a million things at once. Still, Italy was super fun. Venice was my favorite city, and my friends and I took a Gondola around the canals. The pizza and pasta did not disappoint. 



This past weekend, I went to Barcelona and Girona. Girona was beautiful, my friend who lives there showed us around his village. The hit TV show, Game of Thrones, was actually shot in that location. Here's where the story takes a turn: when I got to Barcelona, I could not sleep AT ALL in the hostel due to the fact that I could not breathe and my one friend was snoring like a tractor. My stupid brain forgot to carry my inhaler with me on the trip. The one time I forgot it, I was suffering from asthma attacks. Thankfully, I have amazing friends, Hugo and Ari, and they ventured to find me an inhaler early in the morning. Unfortunately, I could not stay in Barcelona as I was extremely sleep deprived and sick. I convinced myself I was suffering from insomnia (which was not the case, I was just awake for 48 hours), and took the earliest train back. After my traumatic event, I promise myself that I will go back to Barcelona.


By far, April has been the fastest-moving month, and although I am glad I extended my stay, I still want more time! I am already saying bye to friends from my residence; my first friend leaves on May 8. Time to start planning trips to Switzerland, Vienna, and Portugal!

Until next time--

Morgan 



Comments