Same Spaces, New Experiences

Hello There, 

It feels weird to say, but welcome to my final blog post!

Despite living in Spain for a little over three months, I am still experiencing some firsts.  A lifetime would not be enough time to explore it all. I recently went to Casa Vicens, Gaudí’s first house. You can see a picture of the outside of it below. Gaudi is a quintessential Spanish architect whose work pulls inspiration from nature. This house compliments the palm trees that frame it. 



Barcelona’s Cathedral (not to be confused with Sagrada Familia) is right in its center. I have passed it many times, but I finally got to go inside. The church was beautiful and contained several chapels within its walls. Below is a picture of the back of the main cross that hangs in the center above the primary altar. 



Attached to the church there is a garden and some outside chapels. The birds you see below are also an iconic part of the garden in between the walls of the Cathedral. They have had a home in the garden for years and years. 



Another space that I’ve passed before but got to experience differently was Barcelona’s beaches. As the weather gets nicer the beaches open up and you can see people enjoying the sun. On the beach, you will have people trying to sell you Mojitos, blankets, hair braiding, massages, and sunglasses. I learned that the beaches in Barcelona are man-made. They were created when the city hosted the 1992 Summer Olympics. I was surprised by how rocky parts of the beach were. 



I also took a trip to the Miro art museum. Miro was a modern artist who worked with many different materials. You can see a picture of the space below. 




April 23rd was Saint George's Day. This is a Catalan holiday similar to Valentine's Day, where lovers exchange roses and books.  It has a wonderful history. To learn more about it you can click here.  The streets were filled with book and flower venders. It rained (and hailed!) that day, which isn't the best weather for a holiday with outside book venders, but it was still a wonderful time. Books and flowers are two of my favorite things, so it was a wonderful holiday. Below is a picture of one of the most famous houses in Barcelona decorated in roses to celebrate. The traditions of this holiday are ones that I am most defiantly going to bring back home with me. Below is a picture of a Casa Batlló decorated for the holiday. 



Well, finals week is coming up so I must study. Before I go I would like to thank you for being a part of this journey with me and a special thank you to all of those who have made it possible.  It is hard to narrow down all of the pictures and summarize the many emotions, experiences had, and things learned, but it is always my pleasure to share what I can with all of you. 


With gratitude, 

Simona Graceffo 

Comments

Post a Comment