A Taste of Paris

 Paris isn't as far away as my mind imagined it to be. 

Here they drive on the same side of the road. The grass next to the highway hangs onto life equally as desperately. But the cobblestone streets and license plates assure that we really landed in a new place. 

Being a pedestrian in Paris is a much kinder experience than in New York City, mainly because the vehicles here aren't out for blood. The cars stop and wait patiently for your crossing. Here, I never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a subway train (which were impeccably clean in both the train and throughout the station). And above ground, the air felt fresh–like a deep breath here is equal to that in the country. Cigarettes are customary. The passing scent of smoke adds to the authenticity of the trip as far as I'm concerned. Adding to the ambiance, cafés and bakeries are open seemingly all night. You'll always find an open seat ready to serve you an espresso alongside a group of laughing friends speaking drunken French. The bread here is truly an experience I recommend. 

The Eiffel Tower is the ultimate reminder that you're in Paris. It surprises you when you least expect it. With the surrounding buildings all under six stories, it leaves all the skyline open for the tower every now and then, surprising you at every few streets. Over my stay here, I learned a disappointing amount of French; but, I got very skilled at saying merci, s’il vous plaît, and English please

Tonight as I packed my suitcase for tomorrow morning's departure, I felt invigorated. Leaving the country had been only a dream my entire life up to this trip. Having accomplished leaving the states, surviving in a place so far away, I feel like the world has opened up to me. 

I would like to thank Manhattan College for this opportunity, Professor Skotnicki for leading us to the most historically rich parts of this ancient city, and the loved ones of Major John H. Mark for making this dream a reality. I’m deeply grateful for the community who’ve supported me on this trip. Merci, bonne année, au revoir!


Comments