Visiting The Country Charm - Assisi


My time in Rome has been a memorable experience, with a few more days to go I am sad it is coming to an end. I've had the opportunity to explore and visit many beautiful places around the city and learn more about the history of my religion. Getting to try different restaurants and different types of food in Rome has also been amazing to experience. After just over a week in Rome, my peers and I took a three hour road trip to a small hill town called Assisi. 


   
    
            Basilica of San Francesco d'Assisi





 




This small town is the birthplace of St. Francis and now a popular destination for pilgrims. I spent most of my time there appreciating the beautiful scenery, rich culture and spectacular architecture; while also learning about the important history and artifacts in Assisi. My favorite place I visited while in Assisi was the Basilica of San Francesco d'Assisi. Before walking up to the Basilica, was a marvelous view of the sun and a view of the town located at the bottom of the hill. Inside was even more magnificent. There were three levels to the Basilica that I went through. The entry level began on the second floor which was also known as the lower Basilica. Then we made our way down to the tomb of St. Francis which lied directly beneath the second Basilica. Soon after, we made our way up to the third level where the upper Basilica was located. The architecture and artwork along the walls of the entire Basilica was very detailed and fascinating. Having the opportunity to visit Assisi was meaningful to me. The parish where I grew up attending Sunday mass; received my baptism, communion and confirmation-was named after St Francis of Assisi.

        


In addition, I have had the opportunity to get to know my fellow peers and make new relationships while on this trip. It has been a phenomenal experience and I am looking forward to spending the rest of my trip with my new friends. 



Comments