Art in Madrid

     I have never considered myself a fan of art in the United States. I enjoyed art but never appreciated it, or thought to learn about it. However, in Madrid as part of my art class I have been studying it and now have a greater appreciation for it. Madrid is blessed to have many great art museums such as the Prado and Thyssen Museum, which I have visited. These museums each have a diverse collection, with the Prado focusing on ancient works, and specializing in Spanish classics from Goya, El Greco, Velasquez, and more. If it was created by a famous Spanish artist, there is a good chance it is here. The Thyssen museum has more modern and international art work including. Salvador Dali, Monet, and Picasso have paintings here. This museum includes paintings by American artists. This was interesting to see in a European Museum. I even found a painting, included below, that was set in the Long Island Sound, not far from where I am from. We have also visited the National Archeological Museum. Although this is not a dedicated art museum it contains amazing works of Roman statues, and mosaics. It is amazing to see so many ancient works in one place. The detail seems almost impossible to have been created so long ago. Part of why I have enjoyed visiting these museums is because we are joined by our art professor Antonio Momplet. Antonio gives us background on the art. What it represents, the techniques used, stories behind its creation, and insights into why it matters. This makes seeing the art even more special. 







Comments

  1. Thank you Ian for the interesting photos and comments on your study abroad adventure. We look forward to seeing even more. Angela & John Mark ( John H Mark Jr, fan club on Facebook)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment