Visiting Rome

     I had the opportunity to travel to Rome for several days with my family. Rome is an amazing city, and I was very excited to visit it, for the history and the food. Rome is so special because of its long history. The capital of the Roman Empire, and the home of the Vatican, this city has had such a profound impact on the Western world. 

    Rome is one of those cities where you get to see so many things that you have seen in movies or photos all your life. The Pantheon, St. Peter's Basilica, and more were all important sites we visited. I took a tour of the Colosseum and had the opportunity to stand in the same place where gladiators fought. The floor of the Colosseum was partially recreated with the same style of sand that actually was used during Roman times.

  Visiting Vatican City and St. Peter's Basilica was probably the most special visit. Although many places can sometimes seem smaller in person, St. Peter's was just as imposing and striking as I imagined. We visited Vatican City twice, and our second visit was on Sunday. I was able to see Pope Francis. As it was a Sunday he appeared from his balcony and said some prayers. It was moving to see the Pope and hear him speak. 

  The food in Rome is some of the best I have had. The pasta is delicious, and I noticed it is cooked very al dente, unlike in the US. We visited the Jewish quarter for lunch and were able to eat Italian, kosher style. I could tell the food tasted a bit different than regular Italian food, but it was delicious.  








Comments