The Music and History of Salzburg




      To kick off our study abroad adventure, we began in Salzburg, Austria. This city has some of the most gorgeous architecture I have ever seen, and the history here is so extremely rich. We attended mass at the Salzburg Cathedral, and I can confidently say that we witnessed the most beautiful service any of us have ever been a part of. As someone who was not raised Catholic, I was very hesitant coming into this course because I assumed there would be a large disconnect between myself and the church, however the music was so moving that I truly felt unity in the room. Seeing all of the people attending mass, tourists or locals, was extremely interesting to watch as I could gauge that people of all different backgrounds were brought together in this one moment. The music at this service was composed by Joseph Haydn, and I can confidently say that this man was a brilliant and incredible composer. I never would have thought that I could find aspects of the Catholic Church that truly resonated with me, but this music was absolutely unifying and moving. Not to mention how gorgeous the church was! I am truly grateful to have had this experience and cannot wait for more adventures ahead.

Comments

Post a Comment