Experiencing Spirituality In Florence

 


I thought I had a good sense of what this trip would entail: good food, a lot of sight seeing, discussions, and practicing spirituality through the wisdom of Brother Robert. While all I listed has happened, I am shocked with how much more I've learned and experienced. I never expected to gain so many close friends from this trip; I expected to become friends but staying together in a convent and spending 12 hour days together has created a unique bond that we now all share. I joined this trip aware that I am the oldest, an outlier with respect to my age and my academic career; I assumed that would limit my connections with classmates but that is far from the truth. On this fast paced trip we've gone to a variety of churches, monasteries, museums, and towns. While I'm not known to be an art enthusiast I was able to have a great appreciation for the art museums due to the religious ties, Brother Robert's religious expertise explaining the significance of the work, and Dr. Gencarelli's knowledge of art history explaining the progression of art in society. The most impactful excursions for me were seeing the monasteries and walking around a campus like property thinking about the devotion and history that occurred. It was incredibly moving to learn about the history and see the "dorm rooms" the monks would live in, the places they would pray, eat, sleep, and meditate. This trip continues to teach me things about myself and continues to open up my mind more than I anticipated. I'm forever lucky to have this experience and connection with the class, Brother Robert, and Dr. Gencarelli. I am grateful for the Major John H. Mark Scholarship and the Mark Family for helping me join this adventure. Knowing John's love for traveling and his friendship with Brother Robert has made this trip more meaningful.

Comments