Berlin: Besties & Bratwurst

Since Prague is a center city in Europe, it makes it so easy to travel to other locations! My first weekend trip outside of Prague was to Berlin. It's so great not having class on Friday, it gives me more time to explore other places. I boarded my bus 2:30am Friday morning with 5 of my friends in the pitch black and pouring rain. Not a good start to this trip. After a bus, a train, and a single hour of sleep, we arrived in Berlin! Things were off to a rough start but thankfully turned around after we got food and rest. 

The first day we visited the Deutsches Spionage Museum where I learned about the history of spies and espionage in the former spy capital of Germany. My favorite part was the laser maze at the end. As much as I hate to admit it, I was unsuccessful in my mission but I got a funny video out of it. While I was here, more friends from UNYP joined my group and we all went to grab food together.For dinner after the museum we ate at a traditional German restaurant called Stadtklause which had AMAZING schnitzel! We laughed and talked and enjoyed great food. Later that night we met up with even more friends from UNYP and had a long game night of UNO and pool. 

Day 2: Up early for a packed day of adventures! Started off strong at the Jewish Museum Berlin which displayed the history of Jews in Germany all the way from the Middle Ages to the present day. It was truly such an impactful museum; everything held such significance including the slightly slanted floors to represent the struggle of gaining your bearings in a foreign country. All the exhibits were meaningful, I spent 3 hours reading about stories of those who were not given the chance to live out the entirety of their lives. From there I checked out Checkpoint Charlie, Topography of Terror, and The Brandenburg Gate. Walking through the streets it's clear Berlin is a city filled with rich history like nowhere else. It also has some of the best food. We had stumbled upon a small food cart called WurstBar where we ate tons of Bratwurst and potatoes. To end a great day, we found a gelato shop where we laughed and shared stories for hours.  

Day 3: My last day here we visited the East Side Gallery, the longest preserved strip of the Berlin Wall. It's now covered in murals with artists from all over the world. Although I would rather see the original wall and graffiti, it was still cool to explore all the street art. I also visited  the Charlottenburg Palace and the Victory Column before the rain started to come down. Since I had a bus to catch at 7pm, my friends and I hung out at the hostel playing more card games until we had to leave. 

7-12:30 felt like the longest bus ride back to Prague, but we still had the Super Bowl ahead of us. To finish off a fun weekend we streamed the game on one of the buses and knocked out right after Usher's halftime show. It was truly a memorable trip and one of my new favorite cities!    


Berlin Wall

Dinner at Der Alte Fritz [pork  knuckle with sauerkraut and potatoes]

Topography of Terror

Exhibit at the Jewish Museum Berlin

Night 1 at Stadtklause

Brandenburg Gate

   

Comments