Tokyo: Exploring Japanese Shrines

In Tokyo, I visited Senso-ji and Asakusa Shrine. The Senso-ji is the name of a Buddhist temple in Asakusa, Tokyo and it is the oldest temple in Tokyo. When I first arrived at the Kaminari-mon Gate (main gate) I saw two statues that weighed about 1000 kilograms!(2204 pounds)
(Kaminari-mon Gate)
To be honest, I felt overwhelmed because there were a lot of people there and I thought I would get lost. Luckily thanks to the Michael '58 and Aimee Kakos Scholarship I was able to meet Japanese college students! My new friend Salala guided me through the Shrine and told me about her religion. However, she told me to not think about it as a religion but rather think about it as a way of life. This made me rethink how I approach religion as a whole. Then we went to the Meiji Jingu. I saw amazed by the size of the torii! (Japanese gate)
                                             (torii)

                                (torii)
The Meiji Jingu was so peaceful and beautiful. I felt at peace and I was deep in thought. Also, Salala told me that the trees I see in the Meiji Jingu were donated. All in all, I am loving my time in Japan and I am looking forward to learn more about Japanese culture and religion!

Comments